Chapter 1: Family Affairs

"Oh, come on, Catalina. My mother will like you and my father... nevermind him, he is grumpy all the time." Draco pulled Catalina by her wrist towards the imposing Malfoy manor that stood tall amongst tall trees and thorny bushes. It had a dark aura surrounding it which sent a shiver down Catalina's spine. And the cloudy weather didn't make it any better.

Draco pushed the main door open and invited Catalina inside. It was rare for the young Malfoy to invite someone over but Catalina had a way of making people opening up to her so that way, she gained Draco's trust. Of course, she still didn't like the way he treated her other friends from other Houses but when she was around, he chose to tone down his attitude.

An elf appeared in front of them. "Mr. Malfoy, welcome home, let me take your coat."

"There is no need. Tell my mother that we are here."

The elf nodded and ran out of the hallway.

Catalina always found the elves adorable and although everyone treated them with superiority and some even mistreated them, she couldn't bring herself to do such things. They were hard working and loyal and she hoped to help Hermione advocate for their rights.

"She is cute." Catalina commented with a smile on her face. Draco waved his hand dismissively.

Steps were heard coming towards them, making the hard wood beneath their feet squeak. There was also a sound of something hitting the floor, a cane maybe?

In front of them, a tall, blonde man with blue eyes appeared. His attire was impecable and he wore and air of superiority around him that made Catalina gulp.

"Draco... and miss..." he took a long pause, moving his eyes to the feminine figure next to his son. He analyzed her from head to toes, a subtle and wicked smirk playing at his lips.

"Catalina. Catalina Fawley." She bowed her head slightly.

"Ah, a Hufflepuff." Lucius concluded, raising his head and smirking with arrogance.

"No, Sir. Most of my family is Hufflepuff but I am a Slytherin." She smiled kindly at him, trying to be the total opposite of what Draco's family was known for.

"Hm, yes. I'm glad that there are Hufflepuffs lucky enough to have Slytherins in their family." He chuckled, trying to make her feel inferior and embarrassed. The truth is that she wasn't surprised. Everyone knew that most Slytherins, especially the pure bloods, considered themselves above anyone else.

"Dad..." Draco warned him with a sharp glare.

"No, you are right, Sir. I do also think that there should be a balance." Catalina answered truthfully. She knew that deep down she had Hufflepuff characteristics but she was also strong willed and could turn vicious as a Slytherin when someone dear to her was hurt.

Lucius raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? Then I presume we will get along really well."

"I really do hope so, Sir." She felt the blush creeping on her cheeks, making her lower her head. Obviously, a compliment from a Malfoy was rare if not impossible to get.

She felt a cold metal pressed under her chin, bringing her head up. "Now, now, don't lower your head like that, I'm not that intimidating..." He said, his tone becoming darker when he reached the last two words. Catalina bit her lip to suppress a squeal. She felt both turned on by this simple gesture but scared at the same time.

Lucius removed his cane from under her chin and turned his back towards the two friends. "Draco, I will be in my study if anything arises." He said and started walking without addressing another word to his son and his friend.