Chapter 1: Singapore

Annette's POV
1729

I sat aboard the ship Hai Peng as the crew was in Singapore to talk to Captain Sao Feng about obtaining it for our journey to the end of the world. Feng is the Pirate Lord of the South China Sea, and we also needed his navigational charts to Davy Jones' Locker, where Jack has been kept for the past few months.

Due to my previous life aboard a French ship, I would be executed immediately if spotted roaming along Singapore, so I elected to stay behind with the longboat. That was soon deemed to be difficult to avoid being detected, so instead I snuck onto the ship we were planning on borrowing anyway.

Jack was the Pirate Lord of the Caribbean. We may have captained the Pearl together, but it did not give me the title of Lord of the Caribbean. He failed to name a successor before he was sent to the Locker, so it was up to us to get him back. The song had been sung.

Hoist the Colors is a song that every pirate across the Seven Seas knows. It's used to summon the members of the Brethren Court together. It was sung by men, women, and children who were standing before the gallows, moments from being executed for being pirates or associated with piracy by the East India Trading Company, notably Lord Cutler Beckett. The song is connected to the nine pieces of eight that the Brethren Court carry around.

I sat on a barrel in the darkness of the ship, inspecting the sharpness of my dagger, twisting the point around my index finger on the, for once, quiet ship all to myself. My ankles were crossed, my bare feet were resting on the railing that led up to the quarterdeck and I quietly sang to myself, "we're rascals, scoundrels, villans, and knaves. Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho. We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs. Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho..."

An explosion that contrasted the night sky caught my attention. My head shot up with a soft gasp and I watched the flames and fire. Colorful fireworks were exploding and popping in the darkness, completely obliterating a nearby structure. I slipped the dagger back into my holster, and watched as my crew ran and joined me up on the deck of the ship.

Once we got out of port, Gibbs commanded, "haul the snifters with a will!"

"Keep it taut!" Pintel said.

"Secure provisions and stow the cargo!" Gibbs said.

I walked up to Barbossa who was standing with Will on the main deck. "Did you get what you needed?"

It was strange to be on a ship with Barbossa without fighting for my life. This foe had turned into a friend, which does not happen very often. I still had my eye on him, but I knew I had to learn to trust him. Death seemed to have subdued him, because he was not nearly as nasty as I recall.

"Aye," Barbossa said, showing me the Mao Kun Map, the chart that will lead us to Davy Jones' Locker.

It's said that the map will lead to spiritual realms and legends of the land beyond death, notably towards the Farthest Gate, Davy Jones' Locker, and the Fountain of Youth

It's said that the map will lead to spiritual realms and legends of the land beyond death, notably towards the Farthest Gate, Davy Jones' Locker, and the Fountain of Youth. It uses meridian arcs, equatorial divisions, geographic landmarks and magical keys to guide through the spiritual passages.