Chapter 4: Journey to Our World

Morning came, and our fresh drinking water was long gone. Jack was playing with the map on a barrel, and Barbossa was looking out with his spyglass.

"Up is down," Jack read out loud as I sat across from him, learning how to read the ancient map. "Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful. Why are these things never clear?"

"Would you want to be clear to hide something that you don't want found?" I asked with my head in my hands, elbows resting against the barrel as I tried to wrap my head around it and closed my eyes.

"What? Eh?" He said.

"Did you not hear me?" I asked, annoyed. I picked my head up and opened my eyes to look at him.

"Come again?" His eyes were darting back and forth, never hitting me.

"Are you listening to me?" I asked.

"That's even more than less than unhelpful," he said quietly, definitely talking to himself. Was he always this strange?

"That's enough of that," I said, grabbing the mug of rum he had by the map and set it down by our feet.

"I love the sea," he smiled absentmindedly.

I thought maybe he was talking to someone standing behind me, but when I checked I didn't see anyone. I looked back at him in confusion. I did not understand how death could make him more unstable and nuts.

"I prefer rum. Rum's good."

I sighed, "you need to stop talking to yourself and doing all these weird things

I sighed, "you need to stop talking to yourself and doing all these weird things." I wondered how much he drank this time.

"Once every ten years," Jack said, appearing to be talking to his shoulder. "Even longer given the deficit of rum... and her... I guess."

"Talk like an apothecary," I said with concern in my voice. Who was he talking about?

He looked at his other shoulder, "oh, I like that... not sunset."

"I understand about twenty-percent of what goes on around here," I said defeatedly. Now I was talking to myself, because Jack was obviously not listening to me.

He leaned forward to the map and turned a circle in the moveable map that held the image of a ship upside down, "sundown. And rise. Up."

"