Prologue

On the Zambezi River, bordering Zimbabwe and Zambia, there lived a River God named Nyami Nyami. This god was shaped in the form of a serpent-like creature known to be three meters wide with fangs as sharp as knives and scales that shimmered in the sunlight. Villagers were too afraid to discover his true length, for they were petrified of coming too close for fear of death.

Where he swam, the water stained red, warning the villagers of his whereabouts. His home resided under a rock named Kariwa, and any villagers that dared cross his path were doomed to be swallowed by his immense power. No man dared to swim near this rock as no one was ever known to return once they ventured there.

Nyami Nyami had a wife who lived across the Zambezi River, with whom he had several children. These children grew up fondly, learning to harness their powers and coexist with their environment. As they grew older, their powers overwhelmed their bonds, and they began to drift apart. The siblings decided to part ways and created their own tribes in different regions of southern Africa. 

A tribe named the Shaangani tribe resided in what is now known as Zimbabwe. This tribe was known for their empathic powers as they were able to solve various domestic problems from the town Mutungamiri, leader. Every few generations, a child with these empathic powers would be born to the tribe and trained to be the council's next  Mutungamiri

This tradition continued for centuries until the colonizers arrived. When these colonizers indoctrinated the villagers, this tradition was lost, leaving the Mutungamiri to diminish. These people were no longer heard of, and soon, the world forgot their existence.