Chapter 11: I have faith in you

Amy sat in the garden picking flower. She sometimes practiced using her power to make other plant life,Shadow watches her silently and carefully while the breeze blows through her hair. As he  smiles at her with out saying a word.

He couldn't get his eyes off of Amy , it brought him back to the time of him and his older sister would play, he could hear the laughter of the two of them echoing through his head. He closed his eyes and there in the garden was princess Maria chasing young prince Shadow as the both of them laugh happily. As day turns to night the two siblings were always together one day in the library while shadow worked on his studies with Maria he had the eager to ask her something.
" dear sister what will happen you become queen?"

Maria looked at him shocked from his question before giving a soft smile.

"What do you mean dear little brother?"

She replied softly, Shadow hesitated to speak any further but swallowed his fear.

"Well. . . When your queen I may fear you will be to busy to be with me. I fear we won't be close anymore. "

Maria puts her book down to her lap with ease.

"Oh little brother. I never knew this was in your head for such a long while. . . Yes when queen I will not be able spend as much time you on having fun, but you are my brother none the less. I will always be close to you no matter what. "

She says as she looks back at him, Shadow smiles brightly at her. She then looks down in her book. Her smile then fades to a serious frown.

"dear little brother? If should something were to happen to me, I want you to be next in line as king. That's only if I marry and have children. I want you to be the kingdom's king. "

He looked up at her suprised not knowing what to say. His child mind never understood why she was talking the way she was.

" my dear little brother. For my sake and the kingdom's. Please be a good king. And good husband and a good. Father. Let this kingdom not suffer emotionally then it does now. We need no more heart ache."

"But dearest sister?"

Shadow says aloud as he raises his small tiny hands.

" why must you say such words. I do not understand I can never be king because you will be queen"

Maria giggled a bit. As she places her hand gently to shadow's head.

"I mean when I'm gone silly. When I'm gone and I do not return you will be a good king our land needs. I wish for you little brother to make the country a better place for the four kingdoms and for ours. "

Shadow tilled his head to the side confused on what she meant by those word.

" my dearest sister what do you meant gone. You're right here."

He says . Maria pulls her pinky out with a gentle smile.

" then let's make a promise then. I princess maria. Promises to stand by your side forever. "

Shadows bright smile turns into a one. As he does the same.

" I prince shadow. Will be king for Maria's sake. "

The two giggled at each other as they bother hugged each other tightly. The next week. Shadow runs down to the castle entrance. He seen two coffins being carried in. But noticed his mother and sister wasn't there. He walk to his father look angry. Shadow. Pulls on his fathers coat suit. The king looks down at shadow who was only just a small child.

" wh- where's mother and big sister?"

He asked. The king says nothing instead he pulls back his coat. And walks away without saying a word. Shadow seen the gaurds who looked awfully upset. He walks to them as the men surrounded the coffins .

" wh- wheres mother and big sister?"

He asked with his small voice. The gaurds picks him up as the other opens the caskets open to reveal a dead mother and dead maria. Whose body. Was cover in stab wounds. Shadow burst into tears as he trysts to reach out to them. But it was no good. The guard who held him pulls him away from his mother and Maria. Shadow stayed in his room for weeks without food and water. He cries in his pillow which was now stained with his salty tears.

"Y-YOU . . .Y-YOU . . .Y-YOU PROMISED T-TO BE B-B-BY MY S-SIDE FOR E-EVER!!! .. . . . "

He so he felt a warm gentle touch on his shoulder. He quickly turns around. To see Maria, who looked cleaned up. Her body was glowing a bright white as she smiles at him gently.

" my dear little brother. I am sorry for this to happen. But you must know that promises can never be kept."

Her voice was that of an eacho. Shadow tries to wipe his tears away but as he tries more fell.

" but . . .I. . . I don't w-want to be king. . . . I . . .I I'm scared. . .sister why did you die?"

She smiles at him gently. And places her hands gently on the sided of his cheeks.

" we all are not ready for changes but we must expect them. This world . . . This kingdom it has to change for the better. Forgive me brother for now leaving you with such weight on your shoulders. I know one day you will make this and all kingdoms whole again. "

Shadow looks at her with heavy tears in his eyes .

" no I won't I'm too scared . I'm not brave like you and father. I . . . .I I'm going to fail I'm going to fail you. . . And the kingdom I. . . . .please don't leave me here alone."

Maria's eyes began to tear up as a small tear escaped her left eye while trying to keep a smile on her face.

"You will not be alone. You will never be alone my dear little brother. You must keep love in your heart that way you will know what it is. "

She then starts to walk to the balcony door as it opens Shadow try's to run after her. She looks back him one more time. Tears running down her face while still keeping that same gentle smile .

" Maria please don't go! Don't leave me !!"

Shadow cries as Maria feet begins to turn to a light of dust.

"I have faith in you my dearest little brother."

Her body then disappears into specks of light. They all separate and fly into the night sky. Where the stars were a lined . Shadow was in the balcony looking up at them and screams and burst into tears as her collapse to his knees as wraps his arms around himself. He felt so alone that day. In that very day. He thought he lost it all.   He didn't understand what Maria was trying to tell him. He wakes up by the sound of Amy's voice. She asked him if he was ok. But without saying a word he grabs her by the wrist and pulls her close to him, he hugs her tighlty planning to let go as his eyes tears up as his voice let out cries

" m-my lord. What's the matter.we must go inside before-"

"A little longer let me hold you just a little longer "