Chapter 1

I don't own Pokemon.

"May, I'm sorry, but I have to say no."

May's heart sank. She had left traveling with Ash and Brock to travel on her own.

She wanted to not rely on others as much and to find her own style.

The four rivals were going to head to Johto and enter contests there, but she had just hit a major blocker.

Norman didn't think that it was safe enough for her to travel on her own.

"But Dad, I've been traveling for two years now! Why say no now!"

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, obviously frustrated.

"May... You've never traveled all by yourself before."

"That has nothing to do with it. Max will get his first pokemon in a few months, and you would have no trouble letting him off on his own. It's my personality, isn't it?"

"Yes!!" He was obviously losing his temper.

"I'm afraid that you're going to trip and hurt your ankle and no one would be there to take care of you! Your pokemon could faint and you run into a group of Beedrill! May, you're trusting, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm afraid someone is going to take advantage of you! Harley's going to make another apology and cheat you out of a victory! May, it's just not safe!!"

"But-"

"I was fine with you traveling with Ash and Brock because they had traveling experience, and Brock could take care of the three of you and protect you guys! I don't want you out there by yourself!"

She said nothing, but ran up into her room and slammed the door as loudly as she could in a small act of defiance.

Around five minutes later, She heard a knock on the door. "Go away..." She muttered miserably.

"May?" Called her mother's voice. "Can I come in?"

She unlocked the door, and Caroline sat down beside her. "You really want to go to Johto, don't you?"

"Don't remind me..."

"Isn't it because your rivals are going there?" She smiled cheekily. "And Drew?"

"W-WHAT!?!?!?!? THAT'S COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!"

She laughed. "I'm right aren't I?"

"N-no! Why in the name of Kalos would I like him?!?! He's arrogant, and rude, and taunting, and strangely supportive in his own way."

"I never said you liked him."

"No, I... Uh... Maybe just a tiny bit?"

She looked at May before laughing to herself.

"What's so funny?"

"That was the exact thing I said when I first admitted I liked your father."

"What are you suggesting?"

"No, I'm not suggesting anything. Nothing at all."

"Suuuuuuuuuuuuure..."

"Maybe we should wait until tomorrow morning before trying your father again. We're not going to make any progress tonight."

"Thanks. Love you, Mom. "

----------------------

Drew took a deep breath. "It's not that big of a deal. If she says yes, then great. If she says no... *sigh* I'll be shattered."