Chapter 6- The Order of the Phoenix

So, I did a major time skip here to the beginning of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Shadow had always hated mysteries. Ever since she was young, she couldn't read mystery books because not knowing the facts right off drove her mad. This was no exception. Ever since she had gotten to number 12 Grimmauld Place, all of the adults were acting funny around her. It was like she had done something to horribly offend them. She needed answers now.

Dear Mum,

Who are you? Please, I need to know. Ever since I've been staying with the Order, almost everyone here is treating me like I just murdered their best friend or something. I think they know who you are. I need answers. I need to know who you are. After everything, can't you at least tell me your name? It's driving me insane not knowing. I haven't been able to figure anything out. I don't understand why you haven't told me before now. It feels like it's the only thing that can give me clarity about myself. Please, if you care about me at all, tell me this one thing.

Shadow

She sighed and placed the letter in the fireplace.

"Go to my mother." she whispered to it. The letter vanished. Shadow was about to head downstairs to more suspicious and hateful looks when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." she said, hoping it was Harry or Hermione. But it was Sirius who entered. Shadow relaxed. He was the only adult here other then Mr. and Mrs. Weasley who didn't seem to hate her. Sirius sat down next to her.

"Why weren't you at dinner?" he asked. Shadow shrugged.

"I wasn't hungry." Sirius had been like a father figure to her ever since she'd known him. He was much more like a father then Lucius had ever been. He had cared for Draco and no one else. Now that Shadow thought about it, that was probably because she wasn't his.

"That's not it." Sirius said. "You've been hiding out in this room so much lately. What's bothering you?" Shadow really didn't want to talk about it.

"It's nothing." she said. Sirius gave her a knowing look.

"Is it about your parents?" he asked. Shadow hesitated, then nodded.

"There's something you should know." Sirius told her. Shadow sat up.

"I know your mother." Shadow gasped.

"Do you know who she is? Why is she in Azkaban? What did she do?" Sirius raised his hand.

"Slow down. Before I broke out of Azkaban, she stopped me on the way past her cell. She said to give you this whenever I got a chance, but she asked me to not tell you who she was. That was the only thing she asked." Shadow felt her spirit sink. Sirius pulled out a small velvet bag and handed it to Shadow. She opened it and pulled out a necklace with a raven skull pendant made of silver. It was pretty despite the fact that it was a skull. Sirius smiled at her.

"She said that if one day she escapes, this is how you'll know. Apparently, she has the same one and the two are connected with a protean charm. If the symbol on the back is pressed, the other will grow warm and turn red. It's sort of a method of communication. I did something like that with James and Remus once..." he trailed off, seeming to think about something long ago. Shadow smiled and threw her arms around him. When she sat back, she looked at the back of the pendant, and saw a strange symbol. It seemed to be a crest with a B in the middle and three ravens at the bottom. Shadow wondered if it meant anything. Sirius looked at the symbol.

"That's the crest of the House of Black, you know." he said. "It's not breaking my promise to tell you that." he winked at her, stood up, and exited the room. Shadow felt like Sirius had just handed her a piece of gold.

"The House of Black..." she whispered to herself. "Maybe I'm descended from the House of Black!" Completely forgetting how she had been upset moments before, she dived into her trunk and started searching for any book about pureblood families. There had to be answers, and Shadow might just be on the verge of finding them.