Part 4

The nurses kept a careful eye on Amelia as she lay in a coma and on a ventilator. By the end of the third day she was removed from the ventilator as she was breathing on her own. They continued to change her wet and messy diapers as needed while she laid in the bed unmoving for the next three weeks.

The investigation into the whole mess had finally found one person who had written one note as a prank and felt guilty. He was let loose as his note was not meant to be hateful and had only said I know. It was a common prank to pull on new students and no one had ever thought it would be just the beginning of a series of hate filled notes that would drive Amelia over the edge.

It took the police weeks to begin tracing down all the leads and eliminating them one at a time until they received an anonymous tip. Two weeks later they raided a new church in town and arrested the pastor and 15 others for hate crimes and numerous other crimes. Amelia was just waking up as the first of the people were being arrested for their part in the hate crime.

The light was shining brightly on my face as I tried to open my eyes and make sense of where I was. My neck and throat hurt as did my wings. It took a few tries to set upfar enough to stretch my wings out to ease the stiffness in them. My wings slowly and stubbornly opened all the way up as they responded to my will. After a few more seconds they were being moved carefully in full rotation to ease the stiffness in them.

A nurse passed by my room and expected to see me laying in the bed still but stopped when she saw me moving my wings carefully to ease the stiffness in them. My arms felt like lead as they were forced to move and respond to my commands. After a few minutes it all started to come back to me as the nurses came into ask gentle questions. My body ached and my head pounded. There was a still healing scar in my throat from something but it did not matter.

My torment was not yet over and it seemed that perhaps it never would be. There was no end to the pain for me and all because of my wings marking me as different. My wings made me an outcast from society and marked me as a freak, An accident that should never have been. The stupid questions seemed to take forever and were only slowed down by a diaper change.

A counselor was sent in to talk to me but there was nothing that I wanted to discuss with the man since he spent most of his time leering at my chest which disgusted me. The tenth week after the attempt they finally released me from the hospital with orders to seek counseling. The orders were ignored as the counseling would do nothing to stop those who hated me. After getting to outside of the building the sky beckoned me to come fly in it for a while.

The nurse wanted me to wait for the cab they had called but the pull of the open air was too much for me to resist and a moment later my wings helped to carry me into the sky as a van from the mental hospital pulled up to take me there instead of back to my dorm. They were not going to lock me up and torture me anymore. Never again would they be able to find me and hate me.

It was the middle of the night when my flight brought me back to the dorm rooms one final time. Everyone was asleep and would hopefully stay that way while things were rounded up and taken to my car for transport. All my tools, clothes,diapers, and art supplies were taken down to my car and loaded inside for a trip away from here to where no one would bother to look for me.