Part 5

PART FIVE

A mother?! How could I be a mother. It made my head spin thinking about the things this child would need and me having no idea of how to get her what she needs and no clue how to take care of an infant. How did she manage to rope me into this situation? My mind was whirling as Molly gently got me to lay down next to the carrier so she could change my soaked diaper for me since my mind was not in the here and now at the moment.

Molly seemed to know what my brain was thinking and cut me off before a single word was uttered. "I'm two months pregnant already Amelia and have a three year year old at home already. There is no way that Maria would accept me as a mother no matter how much I might try. She would know the difference instinctively and it would not be good for her or me. Let me show you what she hears when you hold her."

Molly put a stethoscope to my chest and then let me listen. There was a distinct sound of two hearts beating in perfect rhythm. It was a sound that anyone who is an avian is used to hearing. "A human has only one heart that has a heavy beat rhythm. As far as Maria, she has chosen you as her new mother. You were there when she was born. Her mother was an avian. You are an avian. You need each other honey.

"You made your point, but that does not make it any easier on me. It's not like they will stop trying to hurt and kill me just because there is a baby involved now. The baby is an avian as well and once they know this then it will make them want to try all that much more to hurt us both and eventually kill us. You have my records. You know what they did to me before trying to go to school and then during my foolish attempts at going to school here. They tried to burn me to death in broad daylight! What's to stop them from trying that again?"

"Close your eyes a moment and relax without making any sounds. What do you feel?" "Fear, confusion, and something else I can't put a finger on just yet. A longing for something, but what?" "Open your eyes honey. Now humor an insane doctor and hold that little girl in your arms." Maria seemed to almost let out a sigh as I held in my arms. Our gazes locked and for a moment it seemed like we were one person as she looked sleepily into my eyes full of fear and confusion and at the same time, something else as well.

"You win, for now. She can come with me." Molly smiled as she walked out to get the paperwork started for numerous programs to help me and the little girl in my arms. After a few minutes of internal debate my own fears won out. It was too soon to trust anyone that might later turn on me and hurt me. With this in mind a back route was taken out of the hospital. Maria simply slept quietly while in my arms.

Once outside it was easy for me to take to the air. There were things that would be needed for the baby and the only place open this late at night was a very public and sometimes busy super store with a good number of people in it at any time. Time was not on my side and therefore it was in my best interest to go in, get a few quick things for Maria then leave before someone tried to stop me.

It was a bit spooky walking into the store with my wings in full view of everyone but there was a need for haste so it was with this in mind that my wings were not hidden. Several people watched as supplies were picked up for Maria by me. Diapers, wipes,bottles, formula, a few more blankets and a pacifier for her as well. On my way through the store my sight spotted a special harness for carrying babies like a backpack but in front of you instead of on your back.