02 | Sweets don't sweeten inborn salt

u n e d i t e d

C H A P T E R T W O :
Sweets don't sweeten inborn salt

"WHAT do you want?" I say, pulling my hand away. All I can see are his eyes since he is crouching, which look like pools of honey.

"Do you really wish to get dragged along?"

A wave of nostalgia comes over me but I blow it away like the strands of a dandelion.

"Look, I'm sorry, Emryn." He says exasperatedly. "I...I really didn't mean it."

I'm sure he can see a fire in the ice grey of my eyes as I try to convey as much anger as I can through them since that's all he can see. Despite the annoyance reflecting in his features, he stays silent, back with the I'm-too-cool-for-everyone expression that is a blank face.

I walk ahead and halt to pick up another book, 'The Sun is also a Star' by Nicola Yoon, which I would be rereading for the millionth time. I grab it but again as soon as it leaves the shelf, amber eyes stare right into mine.

I roll my eyes. "Leave me alone."

I don't want to force anyone to hangout with me. I know I'm not exactly cotton candy floss sweet and-I don't have anything else to list. They don't know what they're missing out on and I could always call my friends. Call. I didn't have my phone. Cue the I-am-almost-gonna-cry emoji.

He sighs. "I didn't mean it. I'm sorry." I can feel his sincerity through the intensity the amber flecks in his eyes are trying to convey as he pushes his spectacles up, the black fabric stretching. I can't help but wonder what lays beneath.

I stay silent and stroll over to the reception.

"You shouldn't bring your boyfriend issues into my store." She says with a straight face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I say with a straighter face.

I feel a presence behind me and I know who it is without even turning. Not because I recognise the unique, woodsy cologne and the classic minty breath or the fact that my back collided with a hard chest-which it did, but actually because we were the only ones in the store. Lame.

The lady, whose name tag said 'Lola' puts the books inside a bright yellow paper bag and gives it to me, with some free bookmarks.

My poor phone, the thought crosses my mind out of the blue as I gesture with my thumb towards Aiden while looking at Lola, trying to signal her to ask him for the money and I leave, without paying.

Ha! Let him pay. I'm so petty-I love it.

He quickly shuffles on his feet and checks his pockets or that's what my peripheral vision says.

"Thanks." Lola says. "Take care of her. She looks so withdrawn. Ask her what's up with her." She covers this up with a cough when she sees me glaring.

Withdrawn my ass.

Aiden is unsure of what to say so he turns around, shuffling on his feet without a word, pocketing the change.