33

The Zannion watched as Iris did it all. Not one of them going to his aid or thinking to stop her. They had had seen their brothers lay down for her bite, kneel down without a word from her. They had had seen her gentle bites, the ones she so often had with her Blood... But this... This warmed their blood in ways they had not felt since leaving the arena. It was like staring a fellow warrior down across the sands. Only this time it came from a tiny female. Who bathed in blood of their brothers and her prey roared her pain into the air. 

They watched as her back arched. Saw her blood turned into bone, muscle, and tendons. As skin quickly coated the structure. It was disgusting, horrifying, and yet beautiful in her pain. The skin flexed snapping those wings. It was enough though, this set was easily a wingspan of twenty feet. The wind they produced in the entrance room made more than a few take a step back. Still she roared. Feathers grew down the top set. They glemed black but not pure black. They shone like black opal, each feather its own rainbow. It was only then that her body began to form the lower set. 

This set formed slower. They were also smaller, only around a sixteen foot wingspan. These ones were thinner with segmented bones separating skin. That same skin grew thicker and harder as it developed a layer of scales. These too were black but as they grew away from the bones they  lightened to a purple. Each boning grew a talon on the the end. Five talons in total. This time the roar that left her month was anything but human. Suna kneeled with her Blood. They pressed themselves flat and left their backs exposed to her as she stood. She folded those wings close to her back without issue. 

She then turned her eyes to the glass ceiling. It opened up to allow plenty of room for flight. She was going to make use of it now. With the simple flick of a lower wing she triggered the opening mechanism. "Clean this mess up while I am gone. And see to the students. I saw return after night fall." With that she began flapping in truth. It did not take long before she ran and jumped. Using her wings to reach the railing of the second and then third floor. Then she was gone. Out the roof and falling into the water below. She spun stretching those wings down her body. The wind whipped at her hair and face. She enjoyed it for a time before they snapped open and she rose back up into the air. 

Behind her students and teachers alike stared out the windows. For the first time in over a thousand years the sound of Empress wings filled the air. Something far beneath the waves heard it. In the mountains two siblings woke up from a long slumber. The sound of an Empress Roar still echoing in their ears. All over the world beings that had slept for thousands of years woke up. Some of them answered their Sisters call.