Chapter 1

(Some things have changed since prologue. Phil is now Tommy's uncle, and not great uncle, so now the fire happened 10 years ago. Tommy's grandma was still taking care of the house like before, and to Phil it was his mother taking care of the house after the fire. It should be noted that Phil's mother did not fully live in the house but oversaw fixing it. The house is mostly fixed now minus some bad flooring/wood rot, and the attic.)

            A few hours had gone by since Tommy and Tubbo arrived at their temporary home. Both had finished picking their rooms and partially unpacked. Tommy was using the room his grandmother would stay in sometimes, and Tubbo was using what used to be Wilbur's room. He even found an old guitar inside the closet, but one of the strings was broken. A loud sneeze from Tubbo startled Tommy out of his mid cleaning trance. Currently the two boys were blasting music throughout the house as they got down to work on getting dust out. Cleaning was never fun, but the two boys knew it had to be done or Tommy's mother would give them a hard time for it later.

            "You okay there Tubbo? Maybe we should take a break." Tommy was more than ready to put down his duster brush. Since he was the taller of the two, Tommy was in charge of dusting off the tops of shelves and other hard to reach places. Though, it did lead to him finding this old newspaper that was tucked away between some books, "I found something interesting, wanna read it with me Tubbo?"

            "Yeah okay, much more of this and I think my nose just might die." Tubbo nodded eagerly and put down his own duster next to the radio. Idly he noted the station had changed without him noticing but he brushed it off quickly as Tommy's work, "What did you find?" Tubbo walked to his friend's side to gaze at the newspaper in Tommy's hands. The photo of three men captured his attention first.

            "It's an article about the fire. See the blonde? That is my uncle, and the other two are my cousins, I guess. I think I only met them once or twice at family gatherings. The big man there with pink hair is Techno, and the other is Wilbur. Both of them were giants." Tommy recalled vaguely as he pointed at the picture of Phil with Wilbur and Techno. It had been ten years since the fire, making Tommy only six at the time.

            "Was your uncle one of those creepy uncles?" Tubbo tried joking as he nudged Tommy's side who snickered a little.

            "Oh yeah! He always wore this dumb green striped hat and smelled like, really, really bad!" The smelly part was a lie, but Tubbo could tell based off how Tommy was laughing and his tone of voice. Tommy was always a sarcastic person. Then simultaneously both Tubbo and Tommy got goosebumps and a cold chill.

            "Is it just me, or did it get colder?" Tubbo rubbed his arms to get the friction for some warmth. Even though it was fall and the temperatures outside was getting nippy, Tubbo thought it was weird how suddenly it got cold like that.

            "Shush I'm reading." Tommy spoke distractedly as he read about how the fire had happened, "Huh, it happened exactly ten years ago in two days! Apparently, cops determined they had the fireplace going and went to bed. The fireplace caught something else on fire and all three of them became trapped in their rooms. According to this the smoke should have woken them up, but they couldn't find any other reason for the fire to have started." Tommy felt a pang of pity for his deceased family members, and Tubbo was in the same boat. However, Tommy was more curious than anything. He didn't really believe there could be ghosts or the like, but it did make things more fun.

            "That's horrible... I can't imagine dying like that..." Tubbo frowned sadly and started to pull on a loose string on the hem of his baby blue shirt. Tommy made a noise of agreement before putting the newspaper back where he had found it. There was an uncomfortable silence that befell upon the two teenagers, but it was suddenly broken by the sound of a creaking floorboard above them. Blue and brown eyes darted upwards to the second floor where the sound came from.