Chapter 10

(HEY IM BACK!! Sorry that this is so late, but I'm not feeling sick anymore! YAY! My father had been tested positive for Covid so for a bit there we all thought I had it too, but thankfully not and whatever made me sick is already going away. Happy to be back and writing <3 Enjoy)

The sound of a door slamming shut broke the peaceful silence around the Watson, Phil Watson's household. Followed by it were angry voices of a woman and male who had stormed out of the house in a fury. It was early in the morning, and the commotion woke up slumbering birds and caused them to fly away. The slight chill went unnoticed by the two, as they focused only on each other.

"Karen! Please stop! We can work this out- This doesn't have to be what ends us!" Phil ran after her, no older than 25, but looking like he hadn't slept for days. His blonde hair looked ragged and dulled, and his old green robe looked unwashed. A complete utter mess. Everything was a mess.

"No Phil, I can't take this anymore. Why can't you see this is all a mistake! Look me in the eyes and tell me if it weren't for me getting pregnant would you still be with me?" Karen's blue eyes flowed with tears and looked desperately at Phil whose throat closed at her question. "Well Phil? Or would you have gone off on tour? Go live your dream of being a musician? Phil you and I are both trapped in this stupid house! I'm done Phil- I'm... done..." Her hands moved to brush through her light brown hair, as Karen fought away more tears. Inside her car she could faintly hear the baby twins fussing and crying. She looked even worse than Phil did, skin ashen and sunken in.

"K-Karen... Maybe things happened out of order, but I still love you. I love our family. Please don't take the kids Karen." Phil's hand shook as he reached out to Karen who moved further away from him. She hurried into her small car and locked the doors, Karen didn't even spare Phil one last glance... and then she was gone...

Phil stood still in the driveway, now empty aside from his own beat-up truck. He felt so voided and empty as he stood there, just hoping to see his wife's car come back, for Karen to come back. Days passed and Phil had left too many messages to count on his phone. She wouldn't even message back no matter what he said. So many doubts ran through his mind. Was he a bad husband and father? Did he not love her enough? Was he selfish for wanting to continue his music, for wanting to follow his dream? Sure, the road wouldn't be easy but... He still wanted his family...

It had been a month later when he got the call... That Karen had overdosed and died. Phil didn't even know she had a drug problem... What did he know about her? They had been college sweethearts and fooled around a bit too much. They were happy when Karen was pregnant... So happy... And Phil remembered the day of the birth of his twins, son and daughter, and how proud he was to be a father. Accidental or not, he loved Thomas and Sophia. Phil's heart broke thinking about his little girl... And then he felt anger, searing hot anger at just everyone and everything. Why did he let Karen take his children?! If he had stopped her Thomas wouldn't be in the hospital and Sophia... Sophia would still be alive...

"Mr. Watson, we need you to give us your decision." The sharp female voice snapped Philza out of his thoughts and he glanced at the papers in his hands. Time seemed to be blurring by to the man and left him disoriented. Ah yes, the papers... to decided if he wanted Karen and Sophia cremated...

"We... we never talked about this kind of stuff..." Phil's voice cracked as he spoke. He didn't even recognize his own voice... "I-I can't... I don't know what to do..." How was he supposed to deal with his wife's death? All he seemed to be able to think about was Thomas... How his son must have suffered, starving, as his own mother was too high to even feed or take care of her own children. Phil wanted to see him again in the hospital. To feel Thomas heart beating and know he won't lose more of his family.