sebastian michaelis x reader songfic (epiphany)

this is also posted on my tumblr account for those of you that follow me !!
this is a x modern reader !

———————————————————

[ inspired by the cover song epiphany by the piano guys - i encourage you to listen to it while you read ! ]

this had been plaguing you for days now, you realized as you laid in the neatly made bed, your (e/c) eyes gazing out the window a few feet from where you lay. the trees swayed ever-so softly in the breeze, a few leaves being carried off by the soft wind. the calmness of the manor almost calmed your nerves.

it felt weird, you had to admit that much. when you first woke up here, things seemed so exciting, as if you were finally living out your fangirl dreams. that's what every anime fan dreams of, right? waking up in their favorite anime, falling in love with their favorite anime character... but truly being here had begun to lose it's charm. sure, you had some excitement seeing as you'd seemed to appear a good bit before the beginning of the first season, though that didn't cause your excitement to falter. it was only after season one had begun that you began to grow weary. you already knew what was going to happen, how it would happen and when it would happen. rewatching black butler multiple times had seemingly ruined the genuine experience for you.

a familiar sinking feeling began to settle in your stomach. you weren't surprised; it was made clear a long time ago that this serenity had never been your cup of tea. you thrived being kept on your toes, and laying in your bed at the phantomhive manor wasn't doing a damn thing for you. so with all of your strength, you hoisted yourself up and out of bed before getting dressed in a simple beige dress accompanied by some white heels. you busied yourself with pulling your hair into a low, messy bun as you exited your room. maybe walking around for a bit might help.

as you passed ciel's study, your attention was caught by some chatter.

"no, sebastian, i am not going to have you as my dance instructor." ciel's voice pierced the silence.

"but, my lord, it's far too short-notice to request one of your usual teachers. the ball is tomorrow night," sebastian reasoned, his voice causing a small smile to fall onto your lips.

"there isn't even any music," ciel huffed. suddenly filled with energy, you knocked on the already open door.

"i can help with that," you giggled.

"ah, (Y/N), good afternoon," sebastian said, physically relaxing as his eyes caught yours.

"good afternoon, lady (Y/N). how exactly would you like to be of assistance?" ciel inquired, obviously hoping to get out of going to another ball.

you slyly pull your phone from one of your dress's side pockets. "i can play instrumental music on my phone and sebastian can lead you through the dance."

"why don't you and sebastian demonstrate?" ciel asked, his face as stoic as ever, though there was a playful glint in his cerulean blue eye. you glanced at sebastian as he let out a soft chuckle before extending his gloved hand to you. opening your phone and pressing play on your music app, you then took his hand as the calming sound of one of your favorite instrumental songs filled the air.

sebastian pulled you close to him, his warm and inviting smell calming your aching nerves as he held you. you gently placed your hand on his shoulder while the other slipped into his smoothly, as if two puzzle pieces had finally fallen into place once more. having been so lost in your own memories of your home and everything that you'd felt as though you'd left behind, you'd almost forgotten just how right it felt to be in sebastian's arms.

moving as fluidly as the ocean, and each step as soft as a falling feather, sebastian led the dance, your elegance almost matching his. the dance lasted for a few more minutes before the song faded out, leaving you both in a comfortable silence.

ciel cleared his throat in a polite manner, glancing away from the two of you.

"right then," he said in his usual business tone. "thank you for demonstrating, sebastian, (Y/N)."

"of course," you responded softly as you both stepped away from one another.

"there is no need to thank me, my lord." sebastian smiled at you before returning his eyes to ciel.

——————————————————————

the day had went by as quickly as most days do in the phantomhive manor - you helped the servants around as you could, enjoying chatting with bardroy as you helped him make dinner. though, sebastian didn't seem to be all that happy with how close you had seemingly become with the chef, which is something he brought up after ciel had been put to bed.

"may i come in?" sebastian asked after knocking on your bedroom door.

"yeah, of course, come in," you replied, sitting up on your bed.

"what's up?" you asked as sebastian shut the door behind him. a slow moment of silence followed your question as he kept his back turned to you.

"do you like it here?" sebastian inquired, a small hint of fear evident in his voice.

"of course i do," you replied softly as you stood up. "sebastian, what's wrong?"

"you've seemed so distant recently. i assumed i may have done something - or not done something - that caused you to begin to become so shut off. i saw how animatedly you were conversing with bardroy and i became... afraid."

"afraid of what?" you asked as you now stood beside the tall butler.

"afraid that you have begun to no longer care for me as i care for you..."

"sebastian..." you breathed out before gently taking his hand, causing him to look you in the eyes. "i love it here, more than anything. i've never felt so safe somewhere in my life. you make me feel so safe. i love you more than anything in this world or the next. i'm so sorry for being so distant, it's just easy to feel guilty for leaving everyone behind..." another moment of silence followed before sebastian spoke up once more.

"if you... wish to return home, i will not be the one to stop you."

"sebastian... i don't want to ever leave here without you, okay? you're not getting rid of me that easily," you teased the demon, causing a small smile to show on his lips.

"will you dance with me?" you blurted out. sebastian chuckled before taking your hand in his.

"nothing would make me happier."

pulling out your phone, you once again played the same song you'd both danced to only hours before. this time, the dance was much more intimate than formal, however. sebastian loosely wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you against his broad chest as you draped your arms around his neck, leaning your head against his shoulder as you both danced elegantly across the floor of your bedroom.

as the moonlight spilled into the room in whispers, you couldn't help but look up at sebastian, his maroon eyes fixated lovingly on your form. having been caught staring, the male could only smile before placing a soft kiss on your forehead. you sighed in content before resuming your position, your eyes closing as he held you. the song had long faded out before sebastian picked you up, carrying you to your bed and pulling you close to him once more under the inviting warmth of the covers.

a realization hit you as you began drifting off to sleep in the arms of your love, a realization that was much overdue. you may miss your friends back home, and even the life you'd grown so accustomed to... but nothing in that world could have ever felt as right as being wrapped in sebastian's arms.