Run

"That girl has been coming to our practices every night for the past three months. She doesn't even watch us practice, she just sits up there and does homework. Does anyone know who she is?" Yaku asked, glancing up at the balcony of the gym.

"Hang on, isn't that Akaashi-san's sister?" Lev asked, squinting at her.

"Yeah, that's (Y/L/N)," Kuroo said as he took down the net.

"Should someone talk to her? What's she even doing here?" Yamamoto asked.

"Who knows."

"I'll go talk to her," Kenma muttered, handing the ball bucket to Inuoka, who glanced at him skeptically.

"Are you sure about that?" Kuroo asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Kenma had been dating her for five months, and as much as he liked his team, he knew that he wouldn't escape the teasing. Not to mention he'd have to deal with her brother's boyfriend, which was something he didn't have the energy for, even on a good day.

"(Y/F/N), you don't have to wait for me," he murmured when he reached her, crouching beside her, watching as her (Y/E/C) eyes moved to scan his face.

"I know, I want to," she promised, tugging an earbud out, pressing pause on her phone.

"Alright, we're cleaning up, so I'll be out in a few minutes," Kenma said quietly.

"Our usual spot?" she asked, flashing Kenma that soft smile he loved.

He nodded, giving her a fond look that he knew the others couldn't see from where they were.

Neither of them was ashamed of the other, but Kenma wouldn't hear the end of it from his team or Bokuto, and (Y/F/N) wouldn't hear the end of it from either of their teams, not to mention her brother's team.

(Y/F/N) gathered her things up and put them in her bag quietly, taking the hand that Kenma offered her.

"I'll see you in a few minutes," he assured her.

She nodded, heading down the stairs and out the gym door, Kenma not far behind to help his team finish cleaning up the gym.

"What did she want?"

"Apparently she needed to get away from her brother and his boyfriend. She figured she would be able to focus better here."

Kuroo raised an eyebrow and Kenma shrugged.

"How clingy is Bokuto being to Akaashi?" Yaku asked.

"How clingy do you think he's being?" Kenma muttered. "Multiply it by ten."

"Well, she's welcome here any time," Kuroo said, shutting the doors to the storage closet.

Kenma nodded, heading for the club room so he could change.

As soon as he could, he was headed for their spot, which was around the corner of the school where Kenma knew no one went.

"You all set?" she asked, shouldering her own bag.

Kenma nodded, slipping his hand into hers. He wasn't normally interested in PDA, but he had missed her today, and he felt bad about not introducing her to the team.

"Do they suspect anything?" she asked, her (Y/H/C) hair drifting in the small breeze. He knew who she was talking about.

"No."

"What'd you tell them?"

"That you needed to get away from Akaashi and Bokuto."

"I mean, it's not a lie. I did, but I figured at least this way I could spend a little more time with my nerd," she teased, giving him a small smile.

"'M not a nerd," he muttered, but the heat in his cheeks betrayed him.

"Does geek sound better?"

"How about boyfriend?" he asked, gauging her reaction.

"I mean, that too," she said, squeezing his hand for a moment before she stopped. She slipped her hand out of his, tensing. "Kenma."

"Care to explain?" Kuroo asked, arms crossed as he and the rest of the team leaned against the walls of the school.

"This isn't . . . it's not-"

"Run," Kenma breathed, cutting (Y/F/N) off as she flailed to explain.

"What?" she asked, glancing at him.

"Run," he repeated, snatching up her hand, tugging her with him as she laughed.

"You can't run from this Kenma!" Kuroo shouted.

"I can try," he muttered, running faster.

"C'mon, I know a place we can hide," (Y/F/N) breathed, pulling Kenma into what looked like a shadow when they rounded a corner.

It looked like a small alleyway, the opening was small, but it didn't matter.

(Y/F/N) had her back against the wall of the alley, holding Kenma's jacket in her hands loosely as she kept him close, to keep him unseen.

She gave a quiet giggle, watching as a few more boys ran past, letting her head drop onto Kenma's shoulder.

Kenma smiled at her, tucking a small piece of her hair behind her ear.

She looked up at him, the starlight reflecting well in her eyes, and Kenma realized how beautiful she was.

He had never really looked at her when they had first started to get to know each other. His awareness of people's eyes made him anxious, but when they started dating, he started to look at her more and more.

Not in a creepy way, he was just more comfortable with her now than he had been.

The first time she had fallen asleep on his shoulder he had gone ramrod straight, glancing at her nervously.

That was the first time he had really had the courage to look at her.

She got more beautiful the longer he looked at her, he realized, watching as she looked down, flustered.

She didn't really look like her brother, her hair was a different color, and his eyes weren't the same as hers, but they had the same calming presence.

He kissed her forehead before laying his against hers, smiling at her.

"How mad do you think they're gonna be when they can't find us?" she asked, her breathing evening out.

"I think they'll just get pouty," he admitted.

"Are you upset?" she asked, sounding slightly concerned. "That they know?"

"No," he admitted. "I thought I would be but . . . I don't know. Maybe it's just because it's you."

"You . . . You're not supposed to be smooth Kenma!" she sputtered, laying her head against his chest again, clenching her hands into his jacket.

"I think they're gone," Kenma said, sticking his head out.

"Are you going home?"

"Yeah, my parents are probably wondering where I am," he murmured.

"Text me when you get there, yeah?"

"Why would I text you? Aren't you coming with me?" he asked, brows furrowing.

"I just . . . I just figured you'd want me to go home . . . or something."

"Come home with me," he requested, reaching for her hand.

"Alright," she agreed, slipping her hand into his as they walked.

After a brief stretch of silence she inquired, "Does this mean we have to tell my team next?"