Did Fate Screw Us?

You stared down at the tattoo that wove it's way up your arm, the turquoise and white and a strange shade of brown all interwoven and twisted together, coming to a stop right above your heart in a ball of tangled colors.

It was your Soul Mark, a permanent tattoo everyone got when they turned ten years old. Yours was different from everyone else's though. Most people had a small bracelet tattoo over their veins, others had a small ball above their heart like the one where your tattoo ended. Others even had tattoos that covered their entire hands.

Yours though, yours went from the tips of your fingers all the way up your arm, over your shoulder, before sliming to a ball over your heart, whorls and smears of ink that covered your skin.

Your mother had cried the first time she had seen it, but had never told you why.

You had figured it out, years later, in history class.

The bigger the mark, the more skin that was covered, the harder the relationship would be.

You had started to hate the mark after you figured that out. You had thought maybe fate had screwed up somehow.

Even the universe could make mistakes right?

But then you saw him for the first time.

Tooru Oikawa, an amazing setter.

You had gone to the same middle school, and you'd seen him around in the halls. You had seen him smiling at a pretty girl in your last year there. Everyone was figuring out who their soulmates were, getting crushes and getting over the whole cooties phase.

He was attractive, he was smart, he was an athlete. He was everything society wanted him to be. Except for his mark.

He had always seemed do proud of it, despite it's size, the white and turquoise curled around a color the same shade as your eyes.

You had seen his mark, looked down at yours, and immediately known what was going on.

You hadn't talked to him though, you had realized, even at such a young age, that he was going to be great, that he was going to do amazing things, and that you would only distract him

You had started to cover your mark up, getting up early to cover it completely in concealer, wearing a sweater in the winters as an excuse.

You thought that after middle school you wouldn't have to worry about it.

But then you walked into class on your first day of high school at Seijoh.

He was right there, sitting in class with Iwaizumi, Hanamaki, and Matsukawa.

He'd glanced up at you when you walked in, before going back to talking to Iwaizumi, tattoo on full display.

You kept your head down, you went through the motions, you avoided him whenever possible.

Until the next year, when your brother, Kentarou, joined the volleyball team.

Kentarou, as much as he looked like a delinquent, was a good kid. He was scary looking, but he was sweet, and he always had a hug for you when you needed one.

Which was more often than you would've liked to admit.

"Ken, you need to stop forgetting your phone," you chided as you handed your baby brother his phone. "What if Kaida needs us and I don't answer?"

"I know, I'm sorry, I thought I put it in my bag this morning," he grumbled, taking a drink from his water bottle.

"Just . . . try to remember okay?" you asked, moving your head to look at him.