Chapter 5

I sat on the large couch and watched her padded to what I am assuming is the kitchen barefooted. The silken pajama pants caressed her curves ever so briefly and flared off at the end. It seems as if red was her favorite color, the red pajama pants matched her red lacy bra.

Her dark brown hair fell just below her shoulders. I don't know what Nathan's reason is for cheating on his wife but it must have been really horrible for him to overlook the gorgeousness that is his wife.

She handed me a glass of what I will assume to be wine then sat in the couch opposite of me. I sat tensely in the couch and looked at the wine. There was no way in hell I am about to drink something handed to me by the women whose husband I am sleeping with.

"You do not have to look at the wine so skeptically. If I wanted to do ill towards you I would have done so with no trace leading back to me. More than three persons have seen you with me today. So I am not stupid enough to do something to you."

Regardless of that I sat the wine glass down on the coffee table between us. There is no way I am trusting this woman's word.

"Why am I here?" I asked.

"I told you. I wanted to see."

"For what?"

"I have my reasons." She replied with a enigmatic smile gracing her lips.

"Look, I am really tired and I do not have time to play your mind games." my voice took on a snappish quality because I really and truly was tired.

"Fix your tone."

I don't care how much money this woman had or how easily she can ruin me but I will not stand for anyone speaking to me as if I am a child!

"Fuck this!" I said then grabbed my bag and stood up from the couch.

As I was heading to the door she stood in front of me. I am just realizing that she was about a inch or less taller than I was.

I tried to walk around her and she stepped in my path.

"Move." I gritted through my teeth.

"Where are you going?"

"With all due respect Mrs. Rosen Black-"

"Cassandra."

"What?"

"Call me Cassandra. I mean we will be seeing a lot of each other so call me Cassandra."

"Cassandra....with all due respect unless you are planning on telling me the reason you brought me here, I would very much like to go home."

She took a step towards me. Our nose was almost touching.

"I told you I wanted to see you."

I sighed and stepped back.

There was a look on her face akin to disappointment when I did so.

"Why?" I asked.

She went back to the couch that she was sitting in and raised the glass of wine to her lips.

"I wanted to speak with you about Nathan."

She said his name with a tinge of bitterness in her tone. If she felt that way about him why didn't she leave him?

"Okay....what about him?" I responded in a tentative manner preparing for the awkwardness of this conversation.

"As I mentioned I want you to keep on seeing him for the next four months. Thereafter you will be compensated for your time and all communications between you and him will be severed."

"And what happens if I want to continue seeing him after that?" I challenged.

"To put it frankly Natasha his interest in you would have already died down and he would be on to the next one whether or not you wanted to end it. Also neither of you will have a choice."

Who the hell did this woman think she was telling me what I can and can't do!

"I can go to the media with this!" I threatened.

"Sure."

"Huh?" I replied.

"I said go right a head. Then I will create a whole smear campaign about you being a home wrecker. I will evict you from my apartment and ensure that the only place that you can live is in a community where gunshots and criminals are like the paint on the wall and the only place that you will ever work is in a dingy bar on the wrong side of town. My mother is also a part of your university board so....please...go right a head." Cassandra responded staring dead into my eyes.

I knew that this was not an empty threat, her words carried promise. For the first time since this whole thing has started, I regretted starting this affair with Nathan.

"Ok." I quietly replied.

"I am glad we are now on the same page. Now as I was saying I want you to-"

My phone disrupted whatever she was about to say. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Nathan. I looked up at her hesitantly.

"Answer it."

" Hello."

"Hey Tasha." Nathan insisted on calling me Tasha even though I told him how much I hated the name.

"Hey......babe." I replied.

"I am sorry you haven't heard from me for a few days, I was away on a business trip. I will come by to see you tomorrow at 8 pm."

That was the other thing I never liked about Nathan. He didn't ask if he could come over, he just told me a time that he was coming or he popped up. Since he was the one that got me the apartment I didn't complain much and tried to ignore it.

"Sure I will see you then."

"I missed you Tasha."

"I miss you too." And I genuinely did because for the past few months he's been the person I constantly communicated with.

I ended the call and looked up at Cassandra watching her study me. She had a unreadable expression on her face.

"I will have Frank drop you home. He will pick you up tomorrow after work so that we may continue our conversation."

She didn't mention anything about Nathan's call as she walked me to the door. I can't help but feel that I have gotten way in over my head. Except this time I either go with the currents or drown, the current being Cassandra.