Chapter Two - Anxious Secrets

(A/N: Although I haven't written anything specific for possible adventures that occurred between the events of  INOY and now, we get a brief glimpse of the way Ford and Jupiter have bonded as mentor and apprentice. I think it's very wholesome.)

(Ford's PoV)

[December 18, 2020]

I glance up from my book as Stanley enters the room, grumbling under his breath. He's been acting a little strange as of late, though I have no idea why. I've tried inquiring about his slight change in character, but he always waves me away and makes an excuse about being old or something. I personally don't think that's a very likely case, but I don't have any evidence just yet.

"How long until the kids arrive?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"They ain't exactly kids anymore, Sixer," Stan mutters. "They're twenty one, fer cryin' out loud."

I roll my eyes, slightly annoyed with his correction. "Fine, how long until the twins arrive?"

"They said they'd be here around noon," Stan informs me. "Jupiter's planning on coming over in a little bit to help get things ready for them."

Having Jupiter as my apprentice has been quite possibly one of the greatest decisions of my life. Not that there's much competition, considering the grave errors I've made throughout my years, but still. She has an enthusiasm for life and opportunity that feels so familiar and yet so strange. Though she is still very much her own unique person, the resemblances between Jupiter and Arlyn have only grown more apparent as she's matured. She'll occasionally make a facial expression or say something in a way that tricks my mind for a fraction of a second. A glimpse of her in the corner of my eye has fooled my heart well enough to override the knowledge possessed in my brain. The realization that she is not her great aunt is bittersweet; never am I disappointed by Jupiter's presence, but the idea that a part of me is still hoping is enough to cause a little bit of heartache.

There have been a few instances where I've almost called her Arlyn by accident, but I'm always careful to catch myself before I do. Jupiter spent a vast majority of her younger years disliking who she was and has made a great effort to discover and love herself. I don't want to make her think that I see her as anything other than an individual. I know how frustrating it can be to get mistaken for someone else. It can make you feel like your entire identity hinges on the existence of another person, causing one to spiral into a constant mental battle of comparison that can damage trust and confidence in one's self and others.

As noon gets closer, Stanley and I begin making sure things are ready for the twins. I keep glancing towards the door, expecting Jupiter to walk through at any moment. It's not like her to go back on her word, especially when she knows she'll get to see Dipper and Mabel. I hope she's alright.

A knock sounds on the door, and I rush to answer it.

"GRUNKLE FORD!" Mabel cheers, embracing me. I stumble back a few steps at the sudden force of impact, chuckling at her enthusiasm. Stan joins me at the door to greet Dipper while he awaits Mabel's attack.

"It's good to see you two again," I tell them as Mabel moves on to Stan and Dipper comes to me. "Gravity Falls isn't quite the same without you two around."

"We miss it too," Dipper assures me. "Where's Jupiter?"

"She's not here yet," Stan informs him. "She said she was gonna be here a little bit before you guys came to help out. I wonder where she is."

"That's weird," Mabel comments. "Jupe is never late, at least in my experience."

"You don't think something bad happened, do you?" Dipper worries.