Chapter Five - Friendly Antagonist

(A/N: Who's ready for one of my favourite characters to enter the building?! I sure am! I hope you like her, I think she's really cool)

 (Jupiter's PoV)

I'm afraid to be alone right now, so Dipper has graciously offered to let me sleep next to him. Despite the embarrassment of Stan's teasing, I feel much safer knowing that I have someone to rely on.

The comfort of having him beside me allows me to fall asleep much faster than usual. When I enter the dreamscape, I'm delighted to see my usual forest glade with scattered sunshine and birdsong in the distance. I feel as if I haven't been here in months, which actually isn't completely inaccurate. The only dream I can remember having since my birthday is the prophetic nightmare.

The sound of footsteps prompts me to turn around. I grin at the sight of the Bounder vixen, rushing over to embrace her.

"Cicatrix!" I cheer. "It's been so long!"

From what I've read in Arlyn's notes, this is the Bounder she interacted with back in the day. Just as they can move in and out of the Crawl Space when they're alive, the spirits of Bounders can move in and out of dreams once they've passed on.

I withdraw from the hug as I realize she isn't trying to lick my face. Something isn't right, but she's afraid to tell me what it is.

"Cicatrix? What's wrong?"

She crouches down and allows me to climb onto her back. She takes off without hesitation, leading me deeper into the woods. The trees get thicker, blocking out more and more sunlight, pushing me further into darkness.

Cicatrix finally slows down as we reach a clearing, allowing me to dismount. As the mist begins to disappear, an old statue is visible. I feel my breath catch in my throat as I realize where we are.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask, a hint of fear in my voice.

She nods towards the statue, which I now realize is directing me towards a tunnel of bent trees. I exchange a questioning glance with her, to which she responds by dipping her head sadly.

"Are you sure that I have to go in there?"

She nods, nudging me towards the opening with her head. I check over my shoulder to make sure she's following me as I walk, and she keeps pace a few steps behind me.

As I step within the shadows of the tree tunnel, the once happy forest feels suddenly threatening. Silhouettes linger in my peripheral vision, vanishing the moment I try to address them head on. The sound of creaking branches accompanies an oddly warm breeze, sending goosebumps across my skin. The air is muggy and humid, with thick layers of moss underfoot. I'm surrounded by the scent of rotting wood and I can practically taste the boggy leaf mulch that poisons the withering roots of the trees. The fog is dense and heavy, making my hair and clothes slightly damp with moisture. The tunnel keeps getting smaller and smaller as I go, bringing a sense of claustrophobia with it. This isn't going to end well.

Cicatrix lets out a soft whine when it becomes so narrow that I have to get down on my hands and knees and crawl through.

"It's okay," I assure her. "You wait for me here until I come back. I'll be fine."

Luckily, it seems that the tunnel opens up again fairly soon, so I don't have to worry about suffocating. It's a bit of a tight fit, but once I have my head and shoulders through, I'm able to drag the rest of me out of the tunnel.

I sit on the forest floor, gazing at my surroundings as I try to catch my breath. The wall of trees is just as thick as before, but rather than bend around me, they tower over my head to provide a canopy over the clearing. In contrast to the coniferous environment, a large deciduous tree is rooted in the centre. I'm not entirely sure what kind it is, but it seems like it might be a maple. I don't understand why Bill's statue would be trying to lead me here.