Chapter Three - Demonic Reflection

(A/N: contrary to what the title may lead you to believe, you're about to get hit with some family bonding fluff as well as some cutesy fluff. I really just used the word cutesy, didn't I?)

(Jupiter's PoV)

"Okay, new rule; Jupiter, you're not allowed to create illusions while we play Charades."

I roll my eyes at Stan's statement. "Hey, it's just me and Mabel on a team! You have both Ford and Dipper, and they're practically geniuses! This is the only way we stand a fair chance!"

"You're straight up cheating," Dipper laughs. "You can't make an illusion of the exact thing Mabel's supposed to guess!"

"Who's gonna stop me?" I tease.

"I'm sure I could find something to bribe you with," Dipper jests.

"It better be something good," I quip. "I'm pretty stubborn, you know."

"Let's just pick a different game," Ford suggests.

"Preferably one that doesn't involve Nerds number 2 and 3 flirting," Stan grumbles.

"That's not what this is," I groan.

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."

"Right, because no one's heard that joke before."

I glance down at my hands as a few sparks appear in the corner of my eye. My hands are heating up. It's happening again.

"I'll be right back," I mutter. "I just... need a bit of fresh air."

I quickly make my way to the door, escaping before someone can start asking questions. I start shivering the moment I step outside, but I don't let it stop me. I place my bare hands in the snow atop the porch railing, withdrawing as it melts the moment I touch it, exposing the wooden banister.

Groaning internally, I bend down and scoop up a handful of snow from the ground. I just have to keep doing this until the snow doesn't melt on contact.

"Are you okay?"

I drop my hands to the banister again, hoping Dipper doesn't notice the high rate at which the snow starts to melt beneath my fingers.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I tell him. He comes to stand beside me at the railing, gazing out upon the snow that coats the ground.

"I'm sorry they keep teasing you about us," he says.

"What? Oh, no, it's fine," I chuckle. "I honestly don't mind that much. I just have a hard time knowing how to respond to it when they put it so bluntly."

"So that's not why you're out here?"

"No," I assure him. "I just... needed some fresh air."

He eyes me warily. "Jupe... are you doing alright? You've seemed a little tense all day. Is there something wrong, or..."

"I'm perfectly alright," I fib, trying to pull off a believable smile. "I just had a hard time falling asleep last night; I was really excited about seeing you and Mabel."

"Okay. If there is something going on, you know you can always talk to me," he replies, giving me a brief kiss. "Don't stay out here too long."

Maybe I should tell him. I mean, he doesn't get that worked up about potentially dangerous prophetic dreams, right?

"Dipper?"

He turns towards me again. "Yes?"

I hesitate, my mouth hanging open momentarily. "Thank you."