Chapter Thirteen - Final Confrontation

(A/N: in which Jupiter figures stuff out and Stan implies things he shouldn't)

(Jupiter's PoV)

I open my eyes, noticing that my joints feel slightly stiff. A brief look around is enough for me to realize that I fell asleep on the couch. My joints ache because I've been curled up next to Dipper the whole time.

Oh, frick, I hope Stan isn't awake yet.

Despite the fact that I'm a little sore, I'm actually quite comfortable. I feel warm and safe with him, just as I always do. I shift a little closer to him, trying not to wake him up. Unfortunately, he stirs slightly, blinking open his eyes and yawning. He glances down at me and smiles.

"Good morning to you too," I chuckle as he kisses my forehead.

"You're just a bundle of blankets with a face right now," he laughs softly. "It's kind of adorable."

I retreat further into my cocoon of quilts, trying to hide my flushed face. When I peek out at him, I notice that his face is slightly red as well, his expression a bit sheepish.

"Thanks," I mumble from within my blanket. "My hair is probably a mess right now, but at least you can't see it."

"It can't be worse than my bed head," he says.

"But your hair is short," I point out. "You can pass it off as a casual messy look, but I just look like I got dragged through a thicket during a chinook."

"And that's different from usual how?" he teases.

I scoff, lightly punching him in the shoulder.

"I was kidding! I'm sorry!"

I smirk. "I know."

I wince as the pain in my joints suddenly feels hot. It's like heartburn, but in my elbows and knees instead of my chest.

"Whoa, are you okay?" Dipper asks. "You look really pained."

"I'm fine," I say through gritted teeth. "I just need to stand up, I've been in one position for too long."

He backs off to allow room for me to detangle myself from my blankets. The stiffness eases as I get to my feet, but the burning sensation doesn't. It starts spreading from my joints down the length of my arms and legs, a faint violet glow emitting from my veins.

"Oh no," I mumble. "Oh no, what's happening, what do I do?!"

"Hey, Jupe, it's okay," Dipper soothes. "You're in control, you've got this."

He joins me as I kneel on the floor, my head in my hands as I start to panic. I flinch as he reaches towards me, scrambling away.

"Don't touch me," I warn. "I don't want to hurt you."

"You're not going to hurt me," Dipper comforts. "Remember what you told me last night before you fell asleep? The only way Jill has any sort of power is if you feed her with fear. Don't be afraid, I'm right here. You're not alone, Jupe. I love you."

I take slow deep breaths and close my eyes. Dipper takes my hands as I repeat this over and over, holding on the whole time. As the heat finally dies down, I carefully open my eyes. Dipper is grinning at me, and I start crying tears of relief. I embrace him.

"I love you too, Dipper," I whisper. "Though I think you already knew that."

"I'll never get tired of hearing it."

"Me neither."

We sit in silence for a few minutes, though we hardly notice the passing of time. When we finally start to pull apart, the distance doesn't last. The kiss is gentle, but with a firm reassurance added to it.