Chapter 4: The End

The Next Morning

My eyes open and I'm staring at a beautiful white and gold ceiling. For a minute I think I've died, until I sit up and remember what happened yesterday. I wonder if Elizabeth is still here. I look around, but the condo seems empty. I glance at the clock and see that it's 6:30. I'm not going back to sleep, so I decide to head down into the basement to get dressed.

I open the door and look down the dark stairs into the black basement. I wonder if Nitro will keep me in the basement too. I trudge down the stairs and over to my clothes. Will Nitro let me take my clothes, or will he make me wear stuff he picks out? I rummage through my clothes until I find what I'm looking for. I grab a pair of dark purple ripped skinny jeans and white socks. My shirt is a black tank top, with a tall collar, except the back is open, showing off all my scars. I've always wanted to wear this shirt, but he's never let me. I smell my purple hoodie that I slept in, and it still smells fine, so I put it on to cover my back. He won't let me leave the house with my back showing.

I brush through my hair and braid it, my accessories still on from last night. I look over my stuff and see if there's anything that I can't live without, but the only thing I can think of is my hoodie. I walk back up the stairs, and see him sitting on the couch, all dressed and ready for work.

"How were things with Elizabeth," I ask, a little unsteady, as I sit down at one of the barstools.

He turns and looks at me.

"They were...well...thank you Kain. You didn't have to do that for me. I knew that when you summoned her, I would have no right to speak with her, so thanks," he says, tears brimming in his eyes.

I avert my eyes, "Sure, no problem. I just thought that making you happy might make you be nicer to Mother when I leave."

He blinks, "Oh, right. You're leaving today..."

I nod, "You sound disappointed. I'd've thought you'd be glad to be rid of me."

"Kain, I know I've been a bad father but tha..."

I interrupt, "Stop right there. I don't want some sappy shit about how you're sorry or you feel bad now or whatever. I don't care. I stopped seeing you as a father a long time ago. All I care about is my mother. Please don't hurt her, since I won't be here to protect her."

He looks at me with a far off look in his eyes, "I hope one day I can make you see me as a father again."

"Don't bother. Speaking of Mother though, when will she be coming back?" I say.

"She will be meeting us there," he answers, his caring façade being replaced by his usual demeanor.

"Meeting us where?" I ask.

He stands up and walks over to me, "You are not going to school today. We are meeting with the high circle, and they will be deciding who you will sign a contract with."

"Oh," I say, not realizing I wouldn't even get to go to school. I mean, it's not like I'm missing much, since Mr. Jade is out of town, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to face my fate just yet.

"Go brush your teeth and finish getting ready. Then we will leave," he orders and I stand up.

I walk over to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and put my deodorant on. I then look at myself in the mirror. I look so different. I feel stronger, like something's changed in me. I brought someone back from the dead, I accessed my spiritual form, and I've made friends. I'm not the same person I was a week ago. Gods above, it hasn't even been a week, has it? It's been like four days. It feels like it's been a whole book.