Chapter 5

🇲🇽 MEXICO 🇲🇽

Rita's pov

People had two sides, a submissive side and a rebellious side. One of these sides always came up, which one appeared when depended on the situation.

If people were fed up with a terrible situation, their rebellious side would appear sooner or later.

But if people were beaten in submission, their rebellious side would remain within them, hidden, they wouldn't even know that this side of them existed.

And I? Did I have a rebellious side? Could I stand my ground? Because there was a great struggle within me. My rebellious side, defeated by my father, appeared again, and was trying to fight my submissive side.

The reason why I wanted to start rebel, and fight for what I wanted was the empty feeling within me. I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore.

I felt like everything was already ripped away from me. My life was flying away, and I had no control over it.

Every day, I got up, I got one day older, and nothing had changed, I was still locked in this damn mansion I called home all my life.

Though, I wouldn't be locked in this mansion from tomorrow on. Next time I woke up and opened my eyes, I would be locked in my husband's home.

Tomorrow was my wedding. My father wanted me to marry the Russian mobster. And I agreed to it, not showing any defiance at all.

I never had the courage to do as my heart desires. I was always a people pleaser, doing everything they wanted from me.

Today was my last chance to express my feelings. If I didn't tell my father what I wanted in life, today, then my ship would sail, and my life would be tied with a stranger.

Still, I was scared. My father was a harsh man. If you danced to his tune, he was nice. If you danced a different tune, he was harsh.

That was exactly what I was going to do with the little courage he left in me, telling him I didn't want to marry, like he wanted me to do.

After twenty-three years, the little girl inside me decided to break free, and tell him that I wanted to continue my studies and become a successful business woman. That was my only dream that I had never given up.

After high school, my father didn't want me to continue my studies. However, I pleaded and begged, no matter how scared I was by his reaction, and convinced him to let me continue my education.

I knew that he did not want me to leave home, which was also one of the reasons why he did not want me to continue my education.

Therefore, I convinced him to enroll me in college online. Then, I studied from home, and graduated in economics.

I was young and stupid, thought if I was educated he would have less control over me, but I was wrong. He would never let me out, he would never let me work and earn my money. Otherwise, he'd lose control over me.

And he knew he couldn't lose the power he had over me, I was his only heir after my brother died.

My brother was my port, he made me feel safe and loved. He protected me from our father. If he was alive, then he surely would save me from this marriage too.

He always made me smile in this hell I called home. I haven't smiled often since he died. The grieving for my brother was bad enough. But the consequences of losing him was worse.

I had no one to protect me anymore, I was all by myself. Now, it was me against my father and his men.
And I was ready to face them all. I might learned it a little late, but I got to know that if I didn't speak up for myself, no one did.