CHAPTER 4.

It had happened. It had been announced to the court that she would marry Erys. Hurrying into the garden Marriane tightened her hand on the scarf she had thrown on her shoulders.
Today she had passed a not to Eason when she had seen him working in the castle. She rarely ever so him lately. She allowed her mind to travel back to the day they had met four years ago.
FOUR YEARS AGO.
Her mother was dead. That was all Marriane could think about. The fever had taken her. The doctors had said but Marriane knew it was a broken heart.
It had been only a year since Werwyn had become queen after shaming her father.
Arrissa had been close to her brother as any two siblings could be. Even after five years that Arrissa's husband had been dead she was still in mourning. It was the King that had helped her move on a little bit but now he had been banished and he would not survive the outside world and she knew that, everyone did. Arien CarSon might have not been the strongest or most noble monarch but he was a beloved one. By some of the people. Others preached of his proclivities and called him a monster. A disgrace.
Marriane's mother moved both herself and her daughter from the palace after asking permission from the Queen.
But now Marriane was back and alone.
   Marriane wanted to die. Perhaps she would request permission from the Queen and become an acolyte in the Temple of The Great Goddess.
She sat at the small fountain far behind the gardens. There were several fountains but here she could be alone. No one would be on her to primp and dress up like a doll.
  Queen Werwyn's words to her had been plain. "You are now my only heir until I have a child behave as is befitting to your status."
  Gah!
" I just want to die!" She threw a stone into the fountain in frustration.
"Why?" A male voice asked.
Her head jerked up and she quickly raised her hands to dry her tears. There was a young man standing there. Not much older than her.
  He was dressed in servants garb but when he moved closer she saw that he was handsome and his green eyes seemed earnest in a way that made her stomach flutter. They seemed to shine against his darker skin.
  "Why do you want to die." He asked again.
Marriane shook herself. "Should you be talking to me?"
"Probably not." He gave her roguish grin. "I just couldn't help myself when I heard a girl who has everything wish for death."
She glared at him when she heard the slight condemnation in his voice. "Do you really think my life is perfect?"
"You have everything....." He answered but paused and cocked his head as if taking her in when she made a sound of anger in the back of her throat.
"Is everything losing ones mother and being stuck in a dry and unhappy place?"
"You should be grateful for what you have been given despite what you have lost."
Anger sparked in her. "And you should know your place. Are you not a servant,? I am sure there is work someplace for you." How dare he downplay her pain.
  He nodded and bowed stiffly. "Forgive me. I forgot my place." He turned to leave and guilt spiked through her.
"Wait." He stopped. "Don't go, my pain gives me no right to speak to you like that."
"You are royalty." He replied without turning.
"Still." She patted a spot beside her. "Sit. Please."
He sat and stared at her for a moment then he looked down.
  The stayed there for a while with tension between them then he began to talk of trivial things. Of a servants life and she was drawn into his mesmerizing gaze.
  After that day, they met again and again and not long after that she could say she loved him.

PRESENT DAY
  And now she would have to leave him.
When Eason arrived he sat beside her and listened to her speak.
"I don't want to leave you." She whispered.
"Have we ever had a chance?" He asked in a broken voice.
"I don't know."
"If you love me we will run together."
"I want to." She said pulling away. "I want to be strong but I don't know how."
"Then let me be strong for us." Eason proclaimed passionately. He knelt at her feet. "Let us go away to Asters. A train leaves for the west almost every day. Take your jewelry and I will take my savings. We will be married when we get there and finally consummate our love. Marri, I love you."
"I love you too." Marriane whispered then knelt beside him. She took his face in her hands and kissed him.
  She wanted happiness and she would take it. "Yes." She whispered against his lips.
  Eason pulled away. "What?"
"I will go with you and we will get married and have children."
He hugged her tightly then attacked her with his lips trailing kisses down her neck.
  She almost lost herself when his hands went under her dress but she stopped him. "Soon." She whispered.
"Yes, soon." He whispered back. "Love you so much."
  Marriane didn't want to let go because she loved him as well. But she did.
Soon all their dreams would come true.