5. the first year

: quinque:
~The first year~

: quinque: ~The first year~

✰✰✰

Patrick turned 12 on the 20th November making him one of the oldest in his year group, he was proud of this as he believed it made him more 'experienced' than any of the less mature eleven year olds running around.
Percy on the other hand has his birthday on the 22nd August making him one of the youngest in the year. The red head boy didn't let this stop him from excelling in all his classes and being appreciated as the smartest and most dedicated in the year group.
The boys may only be three months apart in age but the differences between them were astronomical. To compare them would be fruitless in the great scheme of things as even the similarities were overpowered by the growing distance forced between them.

Leo Harden and Annabelle Burton were very similar. Both shared a love for flying, the feeling of the wind flowing through their hair and past their ears. They were rather smart especially Annabelle who seemed to always know the answer to every question. When the two met they instantly clicked, becoming closer friends than Patrick and Leo had ever even anticipated being. The blonde boy wasn't jealous, this wasn't in his nature. Instead he enjoyed the company of the red headed girl and was glad that he had yet another friend to spend time with at Hogwarts.

Patrick's first year to him was completely fascinating, mainly because he had never experienced magic out of the castle walls. Families like the Burton's or the Harden's grew up seeing spells and charms as something as regular as plugs and sockets. Therefore they weren't as impressed by the simplest incantation like Patrick was. He did well in all of his lessons while still finding time to play around and have fun as a young boy should. Patrick was naturally smart especially regarding magic considering it was something he actually enjoyed learning about. Transfiguration and Astrology were definitely his favourite subjects as they were conducted by the best teachers in the school (according to Patrick).

✰✰✰

"If you stare over to the left you can see the star Andromeda" called Athena Sinistra as she strode over the tower carefully placing her footing on the wall surrounding the flat laid building. Her deep orange velvet robes stood out against the light of the glowing candles that had been carefully enchanted to cast a warmth over the children as they studied the twinkling heavens.
Patrick scribbled the plot mark for Andromeda before placing his eye back towards the telescope to admire the stars beauty.
"I once knew someone called Andromeda, in fact I knew a whole family where everyone was named after stars" the professor smiled merrily as though enticing an old memory.
"I named all my cats after planets" Patrick stated loudly causing many of the surrounding children to giggle.

Although cats were considered an acceptable pet at a wizarding school, Patrick had decided against bringing any of his beloved companions purely because he couldn't bare to separate them. Needless to say he missed his astrology kittens maybe even more than he missed his sisters.
"Really?" Smiled Athena in her usual bright smile that made any student feel as though what they had to say mattered "I love that idea"
"Did you call one of them Uranus?" Called an obnoxious Slytherin from the other side of the tower,
"No I didn't" Patrick replied simply "couldn't find one big enough"
"Ok that'll do" Athena interrupted as the Slytherin boy fell rather silent.