Chapter 3

ELIZABETH POV

I kept my phone off until the next day at noon. At the moment I turned it on, Kelly called me.

"What's going on, Liz?" She was yelling on the phone. "I called you a million times! Why was your phone off?"

"Nothing happened, Kelly." I tried to reply to her as calmly as possible. "I guess my battery has died and I haven't noticed."

"You haven't noticed that your phone is off?"

"Yes, I haven't."

"Okay. If you say so. I wanted to tell you that I will be late from work today, so I will come straight to the restaurant."

Yeah, Leo's birthday has come. That meant a party. Which meant to meet Brad.

"Liz?"

"Um, what? Yeah, okay."

"Elizabeth Turner, what is going on with you?"

"Nothing, Kelly! Please, stop asking!"

"I wouldn't be your friend if I stop."

"I appreciate your concern but believe me, you have nothing to worry about."

"Nope, I don't believe you. I know you too well. But I can't force you to tell me anything. So when you decide to do so, I'm here for you."

"Thank you! Okay. I have a little more work to do and then I'll be getting ready for Leo's birthday."

"See you there."

"See you."

After Kelly and I finished talking, I tried to distract myself with work.

And after I finished my shift, I went home to prepare.

I only had half an hour, but that was enough for me because I didn't wear make-up anyway, and the most complicated hairstyle I ever made, and only for formal events, was beach waves.

I opened the closet to choose a dress. Unexpectedly, my gaze settled on a dress Kelly had made me buy some time ago, but I had never worn. It was too provocative for my style. But something made me try it.

The dress was black satin, with thick straps and a deep v-neck, which honestly was bothering me a little. At the waist, the dress was fastened, and down it fell freely. Her length wasn't my length either, she barely covered my ass.
I spent a few minutes in front of the mirror, leading an internal dilemma of whether to stay with it or put on one of my not-so-I-need-attention dresses.
But guess what - I stayed with it.

As I approached the restaurant, my heart started beating extremely fast. I took a deep breath and went inside. Leo was already there with Mrs. Moyer and Bradford, of course.

"Happy birthday, Leo!" I approached him and presented him with the gift. "This is for you."

"Thank you, Liz." He leaned over to kiss me, but I turned my face so that he kissed my cheek.

"Hi, honey." Mrs. Moyer greeted me as she approached us.

"Hello, Mrs. Moyer."

"Elizabeth." Bradford, standing a few steps back, greeted me in his style.

His expression was serious. There was a mix of emotions in his eyes. A mix of thirst and sadness. Attraction and denial. Guilt.

It was as if I was seeing me in his eyes. And my own emotions.

"Mr. Slater," I replied, and immediately after that, I looked away from him.

"Tonight would be an ordeal for me." I thought. "Maybe for both of us."