Chapter One - Beanpole

3rd Person

Sugawara Saiko and her family had just moved back to the area where she grew up as a young child. She had grown up in the Miyagi prefecture with her cousin Kōshi just a few blocks away. They had been close as children, but when her family moved to the northern part of Tokyo, they had eventually become distant. 

But now she was back, and she would be attending her first year of high school while he was just about to graduate. They'd get to spend the year together and hang out all the time. At least, so she hoped. He could be so different at school versus how he was when he helped her family unpack, for all she knew. He didn't seem like that kind of person though, so she was hopeful.

Saiko was on her way to school at that very moment. She was feeling fairly optimistic about the day. Kōshi had offered to walk her to school, but they lived on opposite sides of town now, so he would have had to pass the school in order to even get to her. Besides, she was older now, she didn't need someone to walk her everywhere. She would have to walk by herself eventually, so why not now?

Saiko POV

I had been using my phone as GPS for the last couple blocks, but the area looked familiar enough as I got closer to the school, not to mention there were some other students also walking in the same direction wearing similar - if not the same - uniforms as me, so I decided to turn off the GPS and tucked it into my satchel bag.

Or tried to because as I got to the corner of the block, someone bumped right into me! Which knocked the phone right out of my hand and on to the sidewalk! 

"Hey!" I exclaimed, squatting down to pick it up. "Watch where you're going, why don't cha?" I brushed the dirt off of my phone, examining it for scratches or cracks.

"I'm not the one who stopped in the middle of the sidewalk," said a monotone voice.

I stood up quick and saw a very tall, blond haired boy, with very striking almost-gold eyes. He was wearing rectangular glasses that were sitting pretty low on his nose, and he had a rather annoyed expression plastered on his face as he glared down at me. There was also a tall (but not as tall as the blond), dark-haired, freckled faced boy standing slightly behind him.

I looked up into those cold golden eyes and said, "I'm not the one who's as tall as a flag pole. You should have been able to see me coming."

He looked taken aback for a moment, like he wasn't expecting me to say something like that. He quickly recovered, pushing his glasses up on his face with his middle and ring finger. He looked down at me through his lashes and said, "But your so short, I doubt even a normal sized person could see you."

I felt a fire begin to burn behind my eyes, "I am the average height, thank you very much! It's not my fault that you were built to the height of Godzilla."

"Whatever," he said with a sigh. "Come on, Tadashi." He said to the boy behind him. 

They turned and crossed the street to go in the same direction as me. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Just great, my first day and I'm already arguing with someone at school. This seemed to be a really bad habit of mine. Finding the kids that would make my school year hell. It's like I can feel it. This was him, the kid that would make me so annoyed and we'd spend all year under each others skin. I sighed and continued on, praying that this would be our only interaction. 

This terrible habit might also just be a reflex. When I was younger, I used to get picked on because of my looks. My mom moved to Japan really young from America, and I inherited a lot of her features. I don't know how I didn't get any of my dad's genetics. I got my moms strawberry blonde hair and fair skin, but my mom blue eyes and dad's chocolate brown ones really said "Mix!" and gave me hazel. Genetics are so weird.