Chapter XIV

───────

𝔼𝕡𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕕𝕖 𝕀𝕍: 𝕊𝕒𝕟𝕔𝕥𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪

───────

The seat she sat in was rather uncomfortable. Its red leather covering had held its color surprisingly well with how the padding was worn down, unmistakenly because of the ship's long existence, and several springs were clearly broken within the foam. She had to admit that she expected more from the ship's primary seating, seeing as the rest of it was well taken care of by the Mandalorian that sat in front of her. 

He hadn't looked nor spoken to her since they left Nevarro, but the child's occasional smile pointed towards her kept her company within the silence. The kindest of the small alien infant gave her some kind of welcoming feeling, even though he hadn't been here any longer than she had.

While the male Mandalorian was focusing on maintaining control over the vessel they sat in, the child, who sat next to him, is quickly attracted to the blinking red light of one of the buttons and presses it. He quickly turns his gaze to the Mandalorian pilot, seemingly expecting to be told off, but he doesn't say a word to the child.
Without getting a reaction to his actions, the child turns back to the buttons and presses another one, making the woman behind him smile in amusement under her mask.

"Stop touching things," the Mandalorian speaks up as he keeps his gaze pointed forward.

His sudden words make the child jolt in surprise. He stares at the Mandalorian again with a look in his big brown eyes that told her he was testing how much the Mandalorian would actually put up with. Reaching his three-fingered hand out again, he presses yet another button, this one beginning to make the ship rattle and shake.

"That's enough," the Mandalorian says calmly as he picks the child up by his tan robe and quickly fixes the issue he had caused. "Can you take him, Esso?" He asks, swiveling his chair around to face her with the child in his hands. It was funny, the name he had begun to call her by, was beginning to grow on her. She quite liked it, actually.

"Have you found a resting point?" Esso questions him as she stands to her feet and gently takes the child from his hands.

"Sorgan," he nods, turning around to face the mapping system on the control panel. "Looks like there's no starport, no industrial centers, no population density," he informs her as he brings up the planet's charts on the screen and looks them over. "Real backwater skug hole," he adds.

"Which means it's perfect for us," she declares as she glances down at the child in her arms. He was reaching out for the small metal ball he had found an infatuation with, but his tiny arms could not reach it from where she stood holding him.

"You ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a few months, you little womprat?" The Mandalorian asks the child as he looks over to him, making her scoff and shake her head at what he had called the small thing.