Chapter XVIII

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Memories As Nightmares

───────

"Let her go," a young woman's voice comes out in muted tones. A name had been spoken at the end of her sentence, but she couldn't make out what it was, especially with the high-pitched sound of ringing that was overflowing her ears and deadening everything out.

There was the faint sound of blaster fire and explosions within the distance that were even more so muffled than the sound of this unknown person's voice. She could almost picture where she was standing. She could almost hear the wind that once blew through her hair. She could almost feel the person who held her away from the people who loved her. It was all. . .almost.

"Did you truly believe it would be so easy?" a deep voice speaks with an eeriness that brought back the unusual feeling of fear within the pit of her stomach. It made her feel as if she would be sick.

"Mother!" a young girl's voice drags out into a scream. Something unquestionably similar to the sound of a Mandalorian jetpack wooshes through the darkness she was trapped within, shattering glass echoing through the atmosphere, sharp feelings of the wind hitting her skin like needles. But, what hurt the most was the last thing she heard as she was carried away through the night sky, was the most familiar voice she would ever remember. . .her mother's.

"No!"

✶✶✶

A sharp gasp enters Esso's throat as she awakens from her short and restless slumber, causing her to sit up in the makeshift bed within the barn, zoning out as she tries to catch her breath. Her heart was racing within her chest that was still covered by her beskar armor and her hands were shaking from the unexpected appearance of a memory that she had yearned to forget for so long. She didn't want to remember the things that had caused her so much discomfort, heartbreak, and confusion. It had only ever brought her grief.

"N-n-nightmare," the familiar sound of a stuttering droid makes her gaze turn.

"Yes," she says as H-1 quickly rolls himself over to her. "Nightmare," she sighs.

The sound of heavy footsteps brings her attention away from her memories and comforting droid. She glances over towards the door of the barn, watching as Mando walks back inside, stopping as he spots her sitting on the edge of one of the beds. She hoped he wouldn't see any sort of distress within her. She did not want to answer any questions right now. . .or ever.

"Are you alright?"

Well, so much for hope, it had never really helped her anyways.

"I'm perfectly fine."

Wow, that was rude, along with horribly convincing. She mentally sighs to herself.

"Sorry," she shakes her helmet covered head as she stands to her feet. "I just need some food," she half lies.

As if on cue, the sound of a light knock makes them both turn back towards the open curtains that acted as a door, finding Omera standing within the doorway with two plates of food in her hands and Winta trailing directly behind her. Esso watches as the young girl looks up towards her mother with an unspoken question in her eyes. Omera motions towards the two Mandalorians with her head, urging her daughter to ask whatever it was she was wanting to, and silently telling her that it was alright.

"Can I feed him?" Winta asks, motioning towards the child that was standing up in the basket that laid in front of her, glancing over to Esso for an answer to her question. "Please," she adds.