Chapter 73: Yunzhong Pass

Out of the two million troops of the Xuan Kingdom, a million of them are stationed in the North. Despite two hundred thousand of the Army of the North moving to station in Xiangyang because of the relatively peaceful two years at the Northern border, there were still two hundred thousand troops stationed at each of the Passes that separated the Xuan Kingdom from their neighbours. In the circumstance of a war breaking out, the troops from the Wuyuan, Yunzhong, Yanmen and Yuyang passes will retreat to gather at Yunzhong Pass - the vanguard of the kingdom in the North. And that, was where Feng Luodi and Situ were heading.

After spending the better part of a month on wheels, Feng Luodi could finally say goodbye to the weeks of travelling. As they entered the Pass, Feng Luodi lifted the veil on the window in the carriage and looked out. Surprisingly, the streets were bustling, full of locals and the families of the soldiers alike. Everyone who saw Situ's approaching caravan stopped what they were doing and shouted out to them.

"General Situ is back!"

"General Situ looks more handsome now!"

The last sentence stood out from the wave of greetings, and the crowd burst out in laughter. Feng Luodi took a peek at Situ at the head of the caravan, his lips curving upwards in a gentle smile. So this is how the North he loves so much looks like! He does seem to command a lot of respect. The crowd made way for the caravan, and a group of soldiers appeared when they reached a gate.

"Your subordinate Zhang Xin welcomes General Situ back to Yunzhong Pass." The officer at the head of the soldiers called out.

"Welcome back, General Situ!" The soldiers behind him knelt in unison.

Knowing that the rest of the journey to the camp will have to be made on horseback, Feng Luodi exited the carriage and saw Situ and Zhang Xin engaged in conversation. She knew Zhangxin as the General of the Left of the North Army, and he managed the day-to-day businesses of the army when Situ was not around. His features were square and proportionate, his eyebrows thick and bushy. He had a stocky built, and the little moustache he sported lent him a clever look. The man walked towards Feng Luodi.

Feng Luodi quickly bowed. "My greetings, General Zhang."

"You're too polite, Miss Feng." Zhang Xin smiled. "I heard that you were going to be staying with us in the camp? If so, can I arrange for you to stay in the tent of General Situ? I've already made arrangements for a separate tent to be set up within his. That way, we can be sure that there will be no unfortunate incidents whereby the unknowing soldier offends you. Of course, you will be free to explore the area about the General's tent."

Feng Luodi's eyes widened. Why do I smell something fishy? She glanced at Situ, and saw an unnatural teasing look in his eyes. Before she could think through it clearly, the words spilt out of her mouth.

"That is a thoughtful arrangement indeed. Thank you, General Zhang." Well, we wouldn't be sleeping in the same tent anyway...and I'm sure Situ will be busy most of the time! That way, I can enjoy the entire tent to myself! She tried to comfort herself, but her pulse quickened. Was I too rash? And...will something like this be considered immodest by this society? But the words were spoken, and she did not wish to mix too much with the soldiers.

They quickly neared the camp, and Zhang Xin led Feng Luodi to the tent to settle in while Situ inspected the soldiers.

"Miss Feng, this way please." Zhang Xin led the way, winding in and out of the identical tents that immediately confused Feng Luodi. Before they reached the tent, the unified war cry of the two hundred thousand soldiers blasted through the air, and the stomp of their foot shook the earth.