Chapter 74: A Kiss

"What is the reason for the discrepancies in reports submitted to the Emperor and me? Tell me what is going on." Situ sat in the meeting tent in the camp, waiting for the updates from his subordinates. Zhang Xin's laughed awkwardly, knowing that he has been caught red-handed.

"The reports sent straight to the Emperor just mentioned that there have been large movements of troops in our neighbouring lands, while the reports to you made it known to you that it was the Huns that were restless. The truth is, the lands of the Huns are strife with civil war this year, the old Wolf King sickly on his deathbed. Members of the royal family are now tussling for the throne."

"Did you guys mention this in the report submitted to the Emperor?"

Zhang Xin laughed a little. "Of course we did, or we could have been charged for misleading the Emperor. However, we'd only touched on the subject lightly, or he would have commanded you to sweep the Huns using this opportunity. If it comes to that, many more lives will be lost again. Our soldiers have barely recovered from the last war."

Situ nodded, agreeing with him. "Amongst the contenders, who has the biggest chance of succeeding the Wolf King?"

"That will be Li Hengba, the one that you had crossed swords with four years ago. He's the third son of the current Wolf King."

"Oh, him." Situ sneered. "We will have another war on our hands if he succeeds the throne."

"Should we join the fray? Treat it as a gift for the dying Wolf King." Zhang Xin laughed, a glint in his eyes.

Situ shook his head. "Leave it for now. The news of my return will spread throughout the borders soon enough, and we will deal with whatever pops up then."

"Yes, General. I know what to do." Zhang Xin smiled wickedly, but remembered another thing. "You have a good eye, General."

Situ raised an eyebrow, but before he could say anything, Zhang Xin quickly turned and fled from the tent. Situ shook his head, and returned to the pile of reports in front of him. Before long, night had fallen and he was about to look for Feng Luodi when he saw a figure outside his tent. He smiled, knowing immediately who it was.

As expected, the tent flap lifted gingerly, and Feng Luodi's head poked in. Seeing Situ in the tent, she asked softly. "Can I come in?" Seeing Situ's nod of approval, Feng Luodi slowly walked into the tent, glancing about carefully.

"I hope women are allowed in here."

Situ did not answer her question, but smiled. "Too eager to go stargazing?"

"That's part of the reason." Feng Luodi's agreed nonchalantly. "I'd also wanted to see for myself how the meeting room of an army camp would look like."

Situ smiled and walked closer to her, pointing to the main seat in the middle of the table. "Do you want to try seating there?"

Feng Luodi looked up at him, her eyes widening. "Can I?"

The feeling that washes over me when I know I am the only thing in her eyes...it makes me want to hug her and...

"General, there is something that I'd forgotten to mention to you." Zhang Xin burst into the tent at that exact moment. Two heads whipped around to stare at him.

Feng Luodi quickly bowed to him. "General Zhang." She quickly scooted to the side of the tent, her expression as if she'd been caught doing something unlawful.

Zhang Xin turned back to Situ, and saw his foreboding expression. "Uhm," Zhang Xin stammered, "do you remember the small town on the outskirts of the Pass called Quicksand?"