11|chapter 11

⭒❃.✮:▹ 𝗛𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗼𝗻◃:✮.❃⭒

"𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘶𝘯𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥

"𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘶𝘯𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥."

-ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Jack and Katerina leant against the wall of the functions space that were filled with doors going to multiple fan rooms and boiler uptakes. "Pretty tough for a valet, this fella." Jack grinned in between laughs as he held Katerina who was practically crying in laughter.

"He's an ex-Pinkerton. Cal's father hired him to keep Cal out of trouble to make sure he always got back to the hotel with his wallet and watch, after some crawl-through with the reputable parts of town..." Katerina trailed off, finding it hard to breathe. "Kinda like we're doing now!" Jack exclaimed, making Katerina laugh some more whilst nodding in agreement.

"Shit." Jack cursed under his breath, making Katerina's head snap up in confusion, her laughter slowly fading away. "What?" She whispered, following his alarmed gaze to see the one and only Lovejoy looking both ways of the corridor before spotting the couple.

Katerina was so sure he had steam blowing out of his nostrils.

"Quick!" Jack grabbed onto Katerina's back and pushed her around the corner, interlocking their hands together before running down the hall. "There!" Katerina pointed to a door at the end of the hall that read CREW ONLY. Jack glanced at Katerina before nodding, pulling her along and flinging open the door.

Katerina gave a small smile before slipping into the room and hearing the deafening roars of fans. They were in one of the fan rooms underneath the ship. The brunette looked around, only seeing a ladder that just went down. She turned to Jack who latched the metal door. Seconds later, a hand thumped on it, presumably Lovejoy, who was screaming and cursing hysterically.

Jack looked back to Katerina, smiling innocently making the girl laugh. He grinned before pointing to the ladder, giving a small bow. "After you, m'lady." Katerina smiled and grabbed onto the ladder, hoisting her leg over before starting to climb down with Jack following soon after.

Katerina's flats touched the cold metal floor as her hands slowly drew away from the escape ladder. She looked around in amazement, seeing many furnaces and boilers lined up side by side, silhouettes of men pushing around wheelbarrows stacked to the top with coal. It was like a vision of hell itself: with the roaring furnaces and black figures moving in the smoky glow.

Jack hopped down from the ladder, snapping Katerina out from her daze as their hands intertwined once more. "Come on," Jack whispered, letting the both of them get consumed by the hot air as they started to run once more, dodging amazed stokers and trimmers with their wheelbarrows of coal.

"Carry on! Don't mind us!" Jack shouted over the din and bustles of the men at work.

They ran through the watertight door into another room that was labelled BOILER ROOM 6. Jack pulled Katerina through a fiercely hot alley behind two boilers, leaving them in nothing but darkness. Katerina's flushed face was nothing compared to Jack's as they watched the shadows of the stokers working in the hellish glow, shovelling coal into the insatiable maws of the furnaces.