Chapter 22

Authors note: If you like my story please vote and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 22

Maria's grandmother looked like a serious woman. Even at her age, I could tell she was breathtaking in her youth. She wore a long navy blue grown with a tailored jacket and a large ornamental brooch above her left breast pocket. Her hair was cut chin-length and styled.

"Grandmother, Mrs. Fisher, this is my friend Cecilia."

"Cecilia, this is my grandmother and Mrs. Fisher."

"Hi," I said and stuck my hand out awkwardly. I didn't know what to do. In Hispanic culture, you kiss someone on the cheek when you meet them or greet them. Maria's family is Hispanic, but her grandmother seemed so proper it felt awkward to bend over and kiss as a greeting.

She took my hand curiously.

"Pleased to meet you," She said and gave me a scrutinizing look. She had beady eyes that were mostly hidden by wrinkles. They looked a faded green like ocean water in the fall.

"Likewise,"

"Are you in school with Maria and my Abigail?" Ms. Fisher asked, turning to look at us.

"Yes, but I'm new, so I'll be starting this year."

"That's nice; it's a fantastic school." She smiled wide, showing her pearly white teeth. "I'm sure you will love it," she added.

"You are an incoming freshman?" her grandmother asked.

"No, I will be a Junior."

"Why are you starting so late?" She asked bluntly.

"I just moved here from Miami."

"Interesting, how do you know my granddaughter then?

"From track."

"Ahh yes, they recruited a girl from another school this year. One of the board members mentioned you."

I nodded.

"Interesting." She said again in a tone that made it seem like it wasn't that interesting. If anything it upset her.

"She runs as fast as I do, grandmother, and she's only a Junior."

"Oh! So you will be in the same grade as my daughter and Robbie; that's nice at least you will have some friends in your grade." Ms. Fisher said, smiling.

Wow, I thought to myself some parents are so clueless. I politely nodded and hoped that was the end of this awkward conversation. Unfortunately, it was not.

"So why did you move here. What business are your parents in?" Her grandmother asked.

"My father is in Medicine."

"He owns a hospital?"

"No, he's a doctor. He is doing his residency."

"I see. So, you are coming in as a scholarship student."

I blushed.

"Yes."

"Grandmother, please don't start," Maria groaned.

"No need to be ashamed; every successful family started somewhere."

I nodded, not sure of what to say.

"What hospital is your father in? Manhattan?"

"No, Bronx"

"South, middle, north?" She asked impatiently. 

"South."

"That's an interesting neighborhood to move a family into."

"It's just my father and me."

"Single parent?"

"No. My mother stayed behind. I came up to help him."

"They sent a teenage girl by herself to live in the city? I assume you do not see your father often. Resident doctors work long hours."

"I don't, but it's fine."

She pursed her lips.

"Grandmother, this is none of your business."

"Of course, it's my business. I donate a large chunk of scholarship money to that school. I have a right to know where my money is going. A teenage girl, at her age, by herself is not proper. I don't like to gamble and risk losing money that could have helped a respectable family."

"What do you think I am doing while my father is working?" I asked, appalled by what this woman was saying.

"Lia, don't pay attention to her," Maria said, grabbing my arm.

"Oh, Clarissa," Abigail's mother started. "She looks like a nice girl, don't give her such a hard time."

"A scholarship to the best school in the city, and you befriend the girl from the most prominent family. Things are really working in your favor, aren't they, Cecilia?"

This reminded me of the conversation I had with Robbie in the car, where he accused me of my friendship with his sister having ulterior motives.

"Conversation over, grandmother," Maria said sternly and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the room.

"Lia, you know I don't think that, right? You know I think of you as a close friend?" She looked at me, nervously.

"Yeah, of course," I answered her, and she hugged me. "Let's go find our seats at the dinner table. Grab seats as far away from her as possible."

"So, she's your mothers' mom?"

"No fathers. My mother's mom is not as bad. She's completely out of it, so that might be why. My parent's family had been friendly, at least for social appearances, for years before my parents got married. Once my dad struck gold in the early '90s, they became even closer."

We sat down towards the back of a long dinner table.

Maria still looked nervous.

"Hey? I promise I know we're friends." I said reassuringly.

"I know, it's just this whole week has been this huge stress."

"I mean," I started lowering my voice and looking around, "do we have to eat at this dinner? can't you say you're sick and we'll go upstairs?"

"I don't know?" She looked around, unsure.

"Seriously, we can steal cookies and watch a movie and eat junk."

She smiled.

"That does sound like a good idea. I mean, technically, they don't even talk to me. Robbie is the one they always pay attention to." She looked wistfully at her brother, then frowned and looked at her hands twisting on her lap.

I smiled at her and was about to ask her if she wanted to bail right now when a butler stepped into the room.