Chapter 26

Authors note: If you like my story please vote and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 26

I heard the birds chirping first, then I felt a weight across my waist. I shifted and tried to stretch out. As I did, I realized in my sleep muddled brain that the weight was due to an arm, and when I moved, the body it was attached to did not like it. It brought me closer to them. I felt their face in my hair and their hand splayed on my belly pulling me against their body. The person took a deep breath. My body stilled.

What. The. Hell?

I did a full turn, a difficult feat in my current situation, and was brought face to face with Robbie Bennet. Sound asleep.

What time was it?

Where was Maria?

I looked up at the sleeping boy; I couldn't help the butterflies in my stomach. He was beautiful. His long eyelashes, the freckles across his nose. His full lips. I stopped myself.

'This was inappropriate,' I berated myself. Was Abigail in the house? I need to find my phone.

Where. Was. Maria. 

I closed my eyes. It was hard to think around him. His smell was intoxicating. I had the overwhelming urge to bury my nose in his neck. I felt his arm pull me close. His hand sliding up my back. My heart was pounding in my ears.

"Robbie?"

"Hmm"

"Robbie, we fell asleep."

"Okay," he mumbled in his sleep.

"No, not okay. Robbie, wake up," I said, shaking him.

"I'm awake; I'm listening," He mumbled and cuddled closer, bringing a leg over mine. 'Well, there was a part of him that was undoubtedly awake,' I thought to myself as I felt him on my hip.

"No, Robert, open your eyes," I said, my voice muffled from being pressed to his neck. I felt him freeze.

I pushed on his chest and managed to pry myself out. I sat up, and his hand fell on the tulle skirt of my dress. I tried not to look down at his lap.

"Robbie! Seriously we fell asleep. Get. Up!"

Finally, he opened both his eyes and brought a hand to rub the sleep from his face.

"What the hell? Where are we?" He asked, his voice gravelly.

He sat up next to me and looked at me, his eyes squinting from sleep and the sun. His eyes looked more gold than green with the early morning sunlight.

"What time is it?" He asked, trying to make sense of the watch on his wrist.

"I don't know, my phone died."

"Seems like it's still pretty early... I would guess six-ish," He said while yawning.

I groaned, "How could I let this happen? I didn't even tell my dad I was sleeping over."

"Relax, we just fell asleep, nothing happened." He said, looking at me.

"What if Abigail would have come out and seen us?"

He sighed and ran a hand through his messy hair.

"I mean, it wouldn't have been a big deal...I've said it before we aren't together," He said, scratching the back of his head.

"It might not have been a big deal to you, but can you honestly say she would have taken it the same way?" I looked at him.

He stared back at me with that unreadable look on his face. Then brought a hand up to my hair and pulled out a leaf that had fallen from the tree above us and tangled itself in my hair.

"I don't know," he said, looking at the leaf.

"Yes, you do." I rolled my eyes. "And I know as well. What I wouldn't want to be done to myself I don't do to others."

"I mean whats the point of even thinking about it? A situation like Abigail's wouldn't ever happen to you."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You told Chris that you don't have casual sex. That day that you guys slept over." He said this while casually rubbing the sleep from his eyes. As if it were a plain fact that should have been obvious to me.

A wave of heat came over me. He had heard everything.

I nodded slowly, not sure where he was going with this.

"So, it wouldn't be the same. Either way, Lia, it was just sleeping. Don't make such a big deal out of this. It doesn't mean anything."

I frowned, "I'm not making a big deal." I said and climbed off the trampoline.

He could be so infuriating.

I walked back to the house though it felt more like an angry stomp. The dew on that had settled on the grass seeping into the stockings I borrowed from Maria. Halfway to the house, I heard him running next to me. "Hold on," he said, grabbing hold of my arm.

"What?" I asked and turned to face him. He was standing so close I involuntarily gasped. He was so tall he managed to block the sun. It created a weird effect where there was a haze of light around him.

He looked down at me, and I noticed his jaw clenched. His eyes were darting across my face. I could tell he wanted to say something. Instead, he sighed.

"Nothing," He said and sounded strangely defeated, and let go of my arm.

I walked back the rest of the way to the house. When I went to open one of the garden doors that led inside, I could see him standing in the same spot staring at me through the glass panes. I shook my head and opened the door. 

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

A/N

Hope you guys enjoyed it! Please leave your thoughts and comment, like, and vote if you liked it!