An American Werewolf In Forks

The rest of the week was uneventful. Jessica had no more near death experiences and Edward was back to ignoring her existence. Not strictly true, she almost spilled sodium hydroxide on him during lab and he glared at her like she meant it. She wasn't going to sabotage her grade just to give him some chemical burns.

The weekend finally came and she and her friends decided to visit La Push to go surfing. The water would be freezing and the threat of hypothermia was half the fun. Tyler was feeling better since the crash and Mrs. Crowley begrudgingly let him go with strict instructions to take it easy which they all knew he was going to ignore. His van was being repaired which left the boys to ride with Mike and the girls with Lauren. Jessica was a bit miffed to be separated from Mike as she usually spent the car ride trying to get him to notice her.

They arrived at La Push and quickly made their way to the water. Angela who hated being cold but was there as moral support, took a seat on a log and drank cocoa from the thermos she brought. Jessica was the first in the water, bracing herself against the freezing water until she was waist deep. The pain shot through her veins, nearly paralyzing her with the pain but she pushed through it, getting on her board and paddling towards the waves.

She got knocked down after she rode the first wave. Eric got knocked down multiple times while Tyler and Mike tried to drown each other. Lauren was the best surfer among them and was the only one to make it to shore without getting submerged. It was excruciating but fun.

She got out of the water, the wind making her shiver as she jogged towards Angela, dragging her board with her and dropping it down to the sand.

She asked, "Can I have some of that cocoa?"

Angela poured her a cup and handed it to her. Jessica sighed in pleasure as she drunk, it burned her tongue a little but she didn't mind. Angela made cocoa just right, not too sweet and with a slight bitterness. She licked her lips as she finished her cup.

She and Angela both turned as they saw the Quileute boys walking towards them. Puberty hit those boys like a train because the skinny boys they saw over the summer were taller and muscled like professional athletes. Shirtless and wearing only cut-offs, all the tanned skin was almost too much to bear. The tallest of them suddenly stopped, his brown eyes widening in shock before he collapsed to his knees.

Both she and Angela rushed over. The other Quileute boys were worried and hovered over him. Angela went down on her knees and softly asked, "Are you okay?"

He looked up at the sound of her voice, something like awe in his eyes. "You're...you're..."

"Angela," she offered with her friendly smile. "And you are?"

"Jacob," He smiled back brightly. "It's nice to meet you."

The two continued to stare into each other's eyes as if they were the only wo people in the world. Jessica felt like an interloper on a scene she wasn't supposed to witness. She looked to the other Quileute boys who were exchanging knowing smiles with each other. It was as if she was the only one who didn't know about something important that had just occurred.

Jessica cleared her throat. "Hey, Ang, it's getting dark. We should get started on the bonfire."

Angela snapped out of whatever trance she was in and got to her feet. Jacob followed, wiping off the sand on his hands on his cut-offs. Angela turned back to him and asked, "Would you and your friends like to join us? We have s'mores."

His friends started elbowing him with the same knowing grins. He pushed them away and gave Angela that bright smile again. "We'd love to."

The Quileute boys helped them whittle away some sticks for the marshmallows. Jacob and Angela sat together as they made s'mores together. Angela had never looked so flustered and giddy, not even when she talked to Ben Chenney who she'd had a crush on since Sophomore Year. Jessica couldn't hear what they talked about but before they left La Push, she saw Angela write her phone number on Jacob's arm.