Remains of the Day

Mike had invited what appeared to be the entire school to his eighteenth birthday party. With his parents out of town for the weekend to attend a wedding in Vermont, Mike and the boys had sneaked in a keg or two and people were crossing the line from tipsy to drunk. Even the Cullens were invited much to Jessica's surprise. Alice and Jasper had declined going as the latter got secondhand buzz of drunken people and that was sure to make the night end badly.

Reluctantly, Edward agreed to go with her. It was the first time they would be going to a social event as a couple and they were both a little antsy on how to act. He insisted on driving Moses (or Mo as she nicknamed his Volvo) to the party instead of Winnie cause Edward said her Chevy was as slow as a turtle. Jessica had been offended. It wasn't Winnie's fault she couldn't handle Edward's Fast and Furious antics.

Mike answered the door, face already red from one too many beers. He grinned brightly at them and pulled Jessica into a hug, kissing her on the cheek as he enthusiastically greeted her. Edward's glare could've melted Mike into a puddle of goo. Jessica laughed it off and pushed Mike away gently.

"Happy Birthday, Mike," she told him. "Is everyone already here?"

"Thank you, Jess. Everyone is here," he replied. "Angie and Laur came with that tall boyfriend of theirs. Eric and Ty are somewhere..."

He looked around as if he could find their friends. He swayed a little and nearly spilled the cup of beer he was holding. He snorted. "I may be a little drunk already."

"You don't say?" Edward muttered.

"Hey, man," Mike finally seemed to notice who came with her. He patted Edward in the shoulder. "Glad you could make it. There's beer and chips. Help yourselves."

He began to walk away backwards. "Bedrooms are off-limits so if you're gonna sneak off no touchy-touchy in my bed, okay? I sleep there. Gross."

They watched him disappear into the crowded house of people. Edward gave her a look.

"Remind me again why you were so into him?"

She shrugged. "He's tall."

"I'm tall."

"He's cute."

"I am also cute."

"Yes, you are," She smiled at his grumpy face. "He has a car."

"Moses is better than that pile of metal he calls a car," Edward shook his head at her. "Let's chalk it up to you being young and foolish."

"I'm still young," she admitted after a second. "And still foolish."

"I know, I know," He wrapped his arm around her waist and guided her through the maze of people. "Lucky for you, I'm wise enough for both of us."

"You're wise enough for ten people," she replied. "Since you're old as the pyramids."

He pinched her at the side, making her yelp. "Behave or I will put you in time out."

"Are you gonna take my toys away too?" she challenged. "You wouldn't dare."

He grumbled something about misbehaving children as they made their way through the house. Tyler and Eric were in the living room with other guys playing a drinking game while watching an episode of SNL. Lauren was talking casually to Katie and Ben in the kitchen. Angela and Jacob were making out in a bathroom with the door open. Jessica closed the door so people wouldn't have to keep seeing that.

They finally found the keg and Edward poured her a cup before they made their way to the back of the house to sit at the back porch away from everyone. Edward sighed in relief at finally being away from everyone and took a seat on the porch swing. Jessica took the seat beside him and slowly sipped her beer.