Alice in Fashion Land

Planning prom was stressful. Jessica learned this early on the planning stage and she was glad to never have to do it again. The prom theme was divided between 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Fire and Ice'. It has been a close vote with Gatsy winning by a measly two votes. Then, there had been all the hoopla that came with it like the venue, food, a DJ, decorations, chaperones, fundraisers, and ticket sales.

There had been the bake sale/car wash from hell that gave Jessica nightmares. She would be happy to never have to bake another cupcake again her life. The car wash had ended with a water fight with her friends as Mike decided that spraying them with a hose would be funny. She had to climb into Winnie soaked to the bone and freezing as she rushed home for a hot shower.

As prom drew closer and they were able to secure what they needed, the most important thing had to be addressed – her prom dress. She needed something to fit The Roaring 20's theme but also didn't want to look like she was wearing a costume. Angela was able to find a vintage thrift store in Port Angeles they could go to but Jessica wasn't sure she could afford a new dress. She needed to save up for gas money when she drove to California and Jessica realized with a great deal of dread that her budget just wasn't going to be enough.

It was an oversight. She had been so distracted by everything that happened that year, she failed to plan accordingly. She might just have to get a cheaper dress and beg her mom to help her alter it. Her mom had shoes she could borrow and they had no need to rent a limo because this was freaking Forks.

She looked over her prom check list again and wondered if there was anything else she forgot. They would need to make the trip to Port Angeles that weekend before all the good dresses were gone. If they all just carpooled with Lauren that would save her gas money. And if they packed a lunch, that would save them having to spend on food while they were in the city.

A tapping on her shoulder made her turn and there was Alice smiling up at her cheerily. "Hi!"

"Hi, Alice," She closed her notebook, placing it back in her locker. "What's up?"

"Don't go to Port Angeles," Alice told her. "You won't find anything good within your budget. The dress you get will keep trying to fall down the whole night and you'll be miserable. Let me make a dress for you."

Jessica was aware about Alice's sewing skills. They had Home Econ together and she used to make these avant-garde outfits that Rosalie would model for her. Alice made everything from form-fitting suits to dresses made of what looked like bandages. And they all turned out stunning.

"The dress has the most beautiful gold leaf embroidery with this delicate tulle skirt," Alice continued, her eyes wide and reverent. "You and Edward will look so beautiful together. I'm making him a tie that matches your dress."

Jessica didn't know what to say but she felt overwhelmed. "You can't make me a dress, Alice. That's too much-"

Alice grasped her arms and shook her a little. "Let me do this, Jessica. Clothes are what bring me joy in my life."

"But..." She sighed, realizing that she couldn't change Alice's mind. This would save her a trip at the least. "How much would I owe you for it?"

"It's free of charge. The sight of you wearing my creation at the dance is more than enough," Alice pulled her into a hug. Jessica stiffened and awkwardly patted her back. "You're going to look so pretty!"

Jessica pulled away from her. "I still think I should pay you back somehow. For your time at the least cause it will take so much work."

"I can get that dress done in three days," Alice said confidently. "I don't sleep and I have nothing else to do except listen to the boys fight over Mortal Kombat again. This is much more enjoyable."