chapter 2

"Have you seen a toad?"

I tried to jerk upright but something heavy was draped over my shoulder. I blinked groggily and sleepily identified that my face was pressed against a warm woolen shoulder. One of the twins i thought calmly. Wait. ONE OF THE TWINS! That must mean the heavy weight around me was his arm. I pulled away quickly bumping against the window in my haste. The boys looked at me worriedly. All but Harry. He wordlessly handed me a hairbrush and went back to speaking to the girl at the door. A smoothed out my flyaway hair and tugged on my necklace. It was all I had of my mother. Aunt Petunia gave it to me before we left that morning, shoving it in my hands before scurrying out of the station. It was a simple black leather cord with a flat selenite crystal wrapped with silvery wire to hold it in place. Touching it made me feel calmer.

"Well we are almost there so you might want to change into your robes." the girl swept away from the door and back up the train. I'd changed my clothes as soon as I had got onto the train so it didn't matter to me. Harry gave me a pointed look and I quickly averted my eyes. I was staring resolutely out the window but I could still see the boys' reflections and my eyes flicking back to one of the twins lean muscular form. I really needed to learn their names.

Soon the train stopped and we pushed through the crowded corridor and out of the train. Hagrid's large figure loomed over me as his booming voice shouted "First years this way. First years with me." I followed Harry but stopped short upon realising we were headed to a fleet of small leaky looking boats. My twin grabbed my arm and pulled me into the vessel. It rocked slightly making the inky water ripple. The boats started to move of their own accord and I kept me eyes focused on the shining lights of the castle.

I stepped out of the rickety boat and onto dry land. I too a few steps feeling woozy but that was nothing to the boy next to me who appeared to have turned an unsettling shade of green. A tall thin woman with a black witches hat directed us to follow her. We all stood on the stone steps hearing the chatter from inside the great hall. My palms were sweating and I nervously shifted from foot to foot. "You'll be fine Thia." whispered my twin. A boy with platinum blonde hair stalked towards us. "I'm Draco Malfoy. You'll soon learn that some wizarding families are better than others I can help you there." He held out his hand to Harry smiling slightly. Harry looked at him disdainfully "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself." he responded. The boys face fell but covered it quickly with a unintelligible noise and walked away but I saw his eyes glistening with embarassment.  The tall woman appeared again. "I'm Professor McGonogall. In a moment you will be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin."               "Wouldn't want to be in Slytherin. It was You Know Who's house." muttered Ron. Professor McGonogall  walked into the hall with us all hurrying behind. She began calling names and one by one everyone sat on the stool put the sorting hat on their head and it called out a house. I was beginning to panic, endless possibilities running through my brain. The girl from the train got Gryffindor and walked over to the red and gold table near to where the twins were sat. Draco was sorted into Slytherin before the hat even touched his head. Then it was Harry's turn. The sorting hat deliberated for a while before finally shouting Gryffindor. Now it was my turn. "Hyacynthia Potter?" called Professor McGonogall. Trembling, I sat down. I heard its voice in my head. "Good heart and loyal maybe Hufflepuff no far to intelligent maybe Ravenclaw. You're very difficult I do like a challenge but there's something else ah I know." "Slytherin!" It yelled.

Shaking I made my way to the table decorate green and silver. I didn't know where to sit until Draco shifted over and gestured beside him. I smiled gratefully, looking for my brother. His face was a mask of shock and there were mutterings all over the hall. I wished the ground would swallow me up. As soon as the feast was over I hurriedly followed the prefect down to the dungeons. "The password is Niffler." he stated and led us in. I raced to the dormitories followed by two other girls. Silently, I changed into my pyjamas and settled in bed. But I was still awake hours after their chatter had stopped and their snoring began. 

Let me know what you think I will try and update steadily.