Chapter 13: Alike, but Different

We walked down the frost covered hills towards the edge of the lake. I was bundled in a big black jacket that he had taken from the bedroom not long before we left. The air was crisp and cool around us as my breath swirled in circles above my head. The cold air was welcome, more so than I cared to admit to the very smug looking Malfoy who walked beside me kicking his feet through the frosty grass. "you can take that smirk off your face" I said. He almost jumped when I spoke, either shocked that I wasn't still crying or that I had spoken at all.

"what can I say? I'm always right" he shrugged his shoulders. We made it to the edge of the water, it a hit a thin frozen covering. I looked out across the lake, thinking about all over the memories a setting like this gave me. One of Ron popped up immediately, when he taught me to skip stones. "what is it?"

"he's everywhere, every memory I have here he is in it" I sighed "how do I go back and make this right"

"honestly, Hermione" Draco took a step towards me "I don't think it's your job to make this right"

"but-"

"Hermione, he hurled a glass at your head" he exclaimed, throwing his arms out in frustration.

"he missed"

"that should not be the argument you are giving me", wait, he wasn't kidding. He was mad, like really mad.

"so what? Do I just give up on him?"

"you either give up on him or you give up on yourself, Granger" he sighed "but I think that's a decision only you can make" The clock up at the school chimed seven. Owls started pouring over the castle filling the sky. Christmas Eve post. Christmas Eve post.

"I need to do something" I said, and we walked back up the snowy hills.

**************

I finished the letters and put it into an envelope. Then wrote the Christmas card. "One for the burrow, one for London" I announced, when Draco offered to send them. He seemed confused about the card, but he did it anyway. When he returned there was an abundance of post in his arms. He dropped them on the table. They all had my name on them. "Molly" I muttered. I gathered them up and put them into my bag, I didn't want to look at them not now. After about on hour of Draco watching me like a hawk as I sat not knowing what to do. I did the one thing that wouldn't at all remind me of Ron. I went to my bag and took out a book, a muggle book to be precise. I sat on the couch and opened it. A small smile threatened to invade Draco's face.

"I'm going for a run" he said, "I'll be back in a while". He walked into the bedroom and changed. I didn't even notice he had left until I heard the door close once more. I was lost in the world of pirates and treasure. An hour later I had finished the book and had moved on to the stories of Alice and the Mad Hatter when he arrived back. In a pair of shorts and nothing else.

"isn't it a bit cold to run without a shirt Malfoy" I said not taking my head from the pages.

"I like to live on the edge" he chuckled walking towards the shower.

"the edge of frost bite, I see" I muttered as the door close. I could have sworn I heard him laugh. He returned moments later with towel dried hair in a pair of jeans and a dark red t shirt. I looked up to him, he looked back leaning against the door of the bathroom, his head tilted slightly.

"read some of it to me?" he asked.

"sorry" I laughed "I mutter when I'm reading some times"

"read it to me" he repeated. I cleared my throat and began.

""Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.

Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea. "I don't see any wine," she remarked.

"There isn't any," said the March Hare.

"Then it wasn't very civil of you to offer it," said Alice angrily.

"It wasn't very civil of you to sit down without being invited," said the March Hare.

"I didn't know it was your table," said Alice; "it's laid for a great many more than three."

"Your hair wants cutting," said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech.

"You should learn not to make personal remarks," Alice said with some severity; "it's very rude."

The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"". I stopped to look at him, his eyes were glassy. "what is it?"

"why is a raven like a writing desk?"

"logically, they both produce notes, one of sound, one of writing" I closed the book "personally I think it's because they are both as dark and dangerous as each other"

"a bit like you and me I guess" he said walking towards me.

"what makes you say that?" I queried as he sat.

"beyond what people think we are, we are as dark and dangerous as each other no matter what houses or sides we fought on we. We are both deadly. Alike, but different" he mused "come on read me some more of that". In that moment I made a decision, i moved across the couch and laid my head against Draco's legs and continued to read, after a moment he began to stroke my hair. The day flew by as the stories filled the room and washed away any fears of the night before.