Chapter 26: Not Real

I was still on the Astronomy Tower. My head didn't hurt, not like it had. It was clear, I remembered. I remembered. I clambered around. My vision finally clearing. Harry was standing, staring at me in total shock. I stood. Shaking out my arms and legs. "Hermione?". Draco stood unsure what to do.

"Draco" I choked out before the sobs over came me, the last three months came crashing down upon me, the lowness, the depression, the loss. All of it. I ran to him, wrapping my arms around his neck, I couldn't be close enough to him. For a while I just clutched on to him. "you're real" I spluttered "I remember you". I drew back to look at his face, I traced a finger down his cheek. "you're real"

"why wouldn't I be?" he seemed almost taken a back by the comment. I turned to look at Harry. His face pale and unsure as to what to think of me.

"you're okay" he said, almost as a comfort to himself "you're okay". I nodded.

*************

"and what made you think giving your protectors the slip was a good idea?" McGonagall was trying not to scream. I was tired, but happy. I could think clearly.

"no one else needed to die for me" Draco said from the other side of her office. "I came once I got the letter". Ginny smirked. It was her; she had brought him back to me. Harry was trying to be angry with her, but it never lasted long with those two.

"you understand what must happen now?" she said.

"I don't care what happens now" I exclaimed from the far side of the room "but no one is charming my mind without consulting me first, I'd prefer not to lose all my memories the next time". Draco smiled slightly.

"we leave for the safe house in an hour" Harry announced, Ginny frowned. He was here often but never for long. The sliver ring glinted on her left hand, Harry took it and kissed her hand before kissing her. "I'll be home soon, Gin"

"I know" she whispered before kissing him back.

"thank you" I said to her, as Harry walked to McGonagall "thank you for calling him"

"someone had to" she smiled.

****************

Ginny and Harry walked ahead of us, I felt whole again, nothing was missing. "so, you've to go" I said after an eternity of silence.

"I do" he leaned against the wall to look down on me "I'm sorry I wasn't here"

"you're lucky you weren't" I laughed "I probably would have gone physco on you too"

"I need to tell you something" he got all nervous.

"what is it?" then I got nervous.

"I love you" he said quietly. I hugged him. Something wasn't right. Something wasn't right. I leaned back and looked at him. I traced my finger down his jaw line. "I love you Mione". Something wasn't right.

"you're not real" I whispered. He looked confused.

"what do you keep talking about if I'm real or not?" he asked.

"why is a raven like a writing desk?" I choked, please, please let me be wrong, please give me the right answer.

"what does a bird have to do with a desk". I stepped back. I let a tear slip down my face.

"Hermione?" I stepped back and pointed my wand.

"Hermione, what are you doing?" Harry exclaimed.

"Expulso" I whimpered. Draco disintegrated intodust. He wasn't real.