Chapter 32: Together

He was alive. We were alive. I, by some mercy, had left Lucius Malfoy alive too. But I didn't care. I didn't care that every wound had been ripped open again in process. I was alive and so was he. We were together. We went through countless hearings and interviews. Lucius Malfoy's sentence was lengthened. We told our stories over and over. But we were together, holding hands through it all. We didn't get to properly talk until a couple of nights later, the first time they had finally let me out of the hospital. I was half asleep in our bed when I noticed he was gone. I searched the apartment, he wasn't there either. Some unusual thread in me pulled me out of the apartment. I wrapped myself in my mothers cardiagn and descended the steps to the courtyard. He was sat in one of the alcoves staring out over the water. "I thought you'd know better than to go wondering the grounds alone at night" I chuckled, watching him.

"I could say the same to you" he replied, his grey eyes starting to sparkle once more. They had healed us both, externally that is. We knew we both still had a long way to go. I walked to him, sliding easily into his lap, nestling my head into his chest. We were quiet for a long time. "I felt you die"

"you what?" I looked up to him, running my finger along his sharp jawline.

"I felt you die" he repeated "but then you came back". I nodded replacing my head on his chest.

"I had a choice" I muttered, "I had a choice, I could go or come back"

"why did you come back?" He murmured into my hair.

"Because, because, I, I loved to this boy too much to leave him behind" I smiled.

"Oh, really?"

"remember you said that love is the most mystifying part of life" I mumbled. I felt him nod. "I think that's how we broke the charms, the one on my mind and the one he put on your body"

"make me a promise" I looked up to him again. He smiled down at me, leaning his forehead against mine "when we go, we go together, agreed?". I pressed a kiss to his lips, savouring in the moment for just a second longer.

"agreed"