bonjour!

A drop of water landed on my head, then came another. One look at whatever came to view was enough to tell that it started raining.
I looked up to the sky, it seemed as though the large clouds were moving towards me. Puddles began to plink as the clouds spat out their beds of water. Robbing the people below of an extra second to shield themselves from the rain.
I scurried to a building nearby where others were already taking shelter. My clothes were a bit wet and my hair was in disarray. Looking around, i realised that i was under the roofs of a restaurant. The place seemed cozy and there was barely anyone inside.
I went in and tried to look for the most isolated seat. My eyes glistened with intensity as i passed by each table trying not to make eye contact with the few people seated.
I decided to sit at the furthest booth, hoping that no one would notice my lack of company.
It felt awkward, so i took out my phone and opened it, wishing to see a notification appear on my screen.
Nothing.
I had many friends when i was still living in the Outer banks, but not many here in California. Growing up I always knew that at some point i'd have to leave the Outer banks for college, but i never thought it would actually happen. Now here i am, a sophomore student at Stanford University, and life has never been more dreadful.

I was so drowned in sorrowful thoughts, I had forgotten that I was still sitting in a random restaurant, waiting for the rain to come to an end. Then I heard it.
"Bonjour!" the word, the attitude. It was quite unusual for me to be greeted that way. Normally you'd go with a "Hi" or a "Nice to meet you" but "Bonjour" was exceptionally different and unique. I looked up to see a waiter awaiting to take my order. My mind went blur for a second, then I gave him a polite smile and told him my simple order, a cup of coffee. He smiled back and kindly walked away. I was in utter disbelief. It sounded so much like him, the voice and the greeting manner, just like jj's.
It was the first thing that jj said to me and i can still hear him say it to this day. All the memories i made with him suddenly flashed through my mind.
I shut my eyes, and i'm back in the outer banks, two years ago.

hi, if you read the book "call me by your name" you'll realise that my writing for some parts of this chapter was inspired by that book. anyway, hope you enjoyed this rather short chapter!!