SAVAGE LOVE Part IV

As soon as we reach Hongdae I feel delighted looking at the youthful crowd, unique cafes, cozy galleries, accessory stores, fashion shops, live cafés and clubs, art markets, and gourmet eateries

As soon as we reach Hongdae I feel delighted looking at the youthful crowd, unique cafes, cozy galleries, accessory stores, fashion shops, live cafés and clubs, art markets, and gourmet eateries. We decided on buying wrist watch for his father, Knitted cardigan for his halmeoni and a crockery set for his mother. And he finally decided to let go his all black attire.

Hongik University is situated in Hongdae which is why the street is filled with youthful vibe. We go around shops and find a wrist watch listed at a reasonable price. There is an old shop owned by a grandfather who designs crockeries and mugs. We buy one in teal color as it’s his mother’s favorite. We then go on to search for a warm cardigan for halmeoni. The shop is filled with so many cute knitted items that makes you want to splurge. Once we are done with everything we decide to eat and pack a takeaway for halmeoni.

We go for a Korean BBQ – the restaurant gets us uncooked meat with side dishes. To go along we order dak-galbi (spicy stir-fried chicken) and of course Soju. They give us Miso soup as a complementary. Man I have only seen it in K-dramas – but this is actually awesome. The Korean BBQ and Soju combination is deadly. Jungkook’s bike is in a repair shop and we decided to use subway for our travel. 

“Ya here’s a little something for you, for not giving up on me” he says and hands me a bag. “Oh Jeon Jungkook giving me a gift” I say and open to see what it is. It’s a knitted gloves with a cute cat character on it. “Ya when did you pick this” I ask him thanking his gift. “Just when you were distracted looking at everything in that shop. “Did you like it?” he asks and I nod smiling and blushing internally any girl would die to have a gift from him “Of course it’s a gift from you and this is so cute” I tell him.

After eating we go for a walk before heading to the subway. Since, its hongdae there is a group of boys who are performing at one corner. “Let’s go there” I point at them as the crowd starts gathering. They sing multiple songs with everyone throwing up their hands and nodding their heads. At the end of their performance we give them a round of applause. I turn to see Jungkook missing. I look for him among the crowd. I pick my cellphone to call him till someone on the mic clears his throat and says hello which sounds like him. I turn to see and my heart skips a beat, its Jungkook “Hello everyone, I am Jeon Jungkook and I will be singing one song as gift to my friend who is here with me, please bear with me as I am not that good” and bows. I stand stunned – Jeon Jungkook is singing for me. 

He signals the other group of boys who help him with a bit of music. The crowd starts cheering and Jungkook takes the mic in his hand and starts singing

“Niga Meolgo Meon Bada Kkeut-eh Gireul IIh-go Hemaedo

Neoreul Chajeulge Yaksokhae

Niga Gipgo Gipeun Eodum Soge Sarmeul IIhgo Ureodo

Bichi Dwejulge Yaksokhae

Gidarigo Isseo

Neoui Seulpeun Geu Dwitmoseubeul Bomyeo

You can count on me like 1 2 3

I’ll be there

Ne Gyeoten Hangsang Naega Isseo

Count on you like 4 3 2

You’ll be there

Eoropji Anha

You can count on me“

It’s a Korean version of Bruno mars ‘Count on Me’ .He ends the song and says thank you. I hear loud cheers all around. His voice is the same I feel happy I always wanted to attend a BTS concert. But here I am in Seoul in Hongdae Street with Jeon Jungkook singing a song for me. I smile widely when he comes towards me. “Well how did you like the gift?” he asks “Ya Kookie it was so good thank you so much it’s much better than a concert” I wish I could tell him what his concert tickets are worth in another universe. He laughs “Shall we get going halmeoni will be waiting” he says and I hold his hand to go to the subway till we get interrupted by a woman wearing fashionable clothes “Annyeong Wah you were so great there. Are you interested in becoming singer? Here’s our company’s card. Please audition” she says and hands him a card which has SM Entertainment written on it.

He accepts and leave till we keep on getting interrupted by such talent scouts. “JYP, YG, FNC, Cube, Woollim and SM Entertainment. Gosh which one will you pick?” I tease him as we are in the subway station waiting. “I don’t know maybe that another one BIgHit Entertainment, should I go for that?” he says and my eyes widen – although the universes are apart there are few no wait most of the things similar. “Ya why are you so surprised I am just kidding. Not much time is left for the test. My teachers who gave up hope are supporting me now they said if I work harder I might even get into your college” he chuckles.

“It will be like those days in Busan us studying together in the same alma mater” he adds. “Jeon Jungkook” I say “What do you really want in life?” I ask him. “Huh” he replies “I mean apart from getting into college, what is that you really want to do?” I ask him. He keeps thinking as our metro arrives. We find empty seats.

“Okay I have my answer” he says “When I was a kid in Busan all I wanted to do was hmm draw and I still do sometimes. But when I came to Seoul I had no idea what to do? Should I become an artist but there were like millions here. My teachers suggested that I should enroll in Arts department, Abeoji has given up on me and eomma is happy with whatever I do.

Few days earlier when we didn’t meet when I was working part-time in convenience store I was listening to radio. It was a music program and for a moment I just forgot everything, even how exhausted I was and focused on it, it was serendipity moment. I want to get enrolled in college and study music I think no I am sure that is what I want” he says smiling “Once I graduate I want to create music that inspire others like it did to me”. I only blink at him.

“Do you think it’s too much?” he says and I immediately reply “No if that’s your dream then that’s what you should do” I say “I am proud that you have a dream Kookie” I add and he smiles. We stay quiet till we reach our station and head home. He drops me home and reminds me to courier the gifts to his parents and handover halmeoni’s gift when I visit her.

I go to bed and sleep easily – the first time here without thinking too much and creating conspiracies. The only thing on my mind right now is Jungkook’s College entrance test that is not that far away. I have decided to support him at home rather than him coming to my college campus. I will do my best to help him achieve his dream