SAVAGE LOVE Part V

"Oh you shouldn't have?" says halmeoni accepting Jungkook's gift covered with my lie

"Oh you shouldn't have?" says halmeoni accepting Jungkook's gift covered with my lie. "Such a beautiful color I am going to use it well" she says. Things are getting busy for him, always locked up in room with books all around him. Sometimes he smiles when he finishes one book and sometimes he frowns when he gets a question incorrect. His test is tomorrow so halmeoni and I decided to cook dinner for him.

Later, halmeoni insists I sleep over so I can wish him in the morning. The mornings are getting colder that I decided to get him a winter jacket. He was so busy he opened it, thanked me and returned back to his books. "I think he will make it this time" says halmeoni before we sleep in the living room not disturbing him "If he gets in any good college, you better be prepared to be showered with gifts" she tells me.

Next morning, I stand nervously asking him to check if he has packed all important things for the test. Halmeoni and I send him off with lots of luck and blessings.

For days I only see him studying. I spend most of my time with halmeoni we watch TV shows, drink tea, cook delicious food, I help her with chores and we doze off to sleep and this cycle repeats till he is done with his final one.

.........................

During this exam season, whole of South Korean parents with kids participating in the exam, shut down whatever work they are doing and go to Church or Buddhist temples to pray so that their kin gets into a good college.

Halmeoni and I prayed every day once Jungkook left to take his tests. Now after a few days we are eagerly waiting in a PC Bang (Cyber store) to check his results as letting me check via cellphone could bring bad luck since we have done it previously. Since national website takes a month to load up the results we are making use of bootlegs. Jungkook keeps his eye shut while I check patiently. The web page loads screaming that he has made it and I gasp hard which makes him nervous. His numbers can take him into the top three universities even.

"Hurry tell me I think I am going to puke" he says. "Ya Kookie" I tell him "Open your eyes" I add. He nods "Did I make it?" he asks keeping his eyes still shut. "See for yourselves" I tell him. He opens and stays still scanning the computer screen. He blinks and checks again. He uses his finger to trace his name and the score. He smiles and looks at me. "You made it" I tell him. "Yes I did" he says "I can't believe it but I did" he looks at his score again. "I am calling and announcing everyone" I say and immediately tell halmeoni and his parents. I get a hurrah from halmeoni and his eomma but just an okay reply from his abeoji.

"What did they say?" he asks. "Oh halmeoni wants to go out tonight to celebrate and eomma is shedding tears of joy....so let's go we need to have a celebration" I tell him and start walking out of the store. "Wait, what about appa? How was his reaction?" he asks catching my hand. I look at his bambi eyes "Well..." of course I lie "he was the happiest, he could not believe it, he left home to convey this news to his friend" I say. "Really?" he asks doubting it's a lie. "I swear and I am going to reveal to them that the gifts were from you, halmeoni told me I will be showered with gifts if you can get in any good college, imagine the number now since you can get in the top 3" I tease him and he grins.