It's Who I Am

It was May 6, 1997.

Ellie sat with Luna at the Ravenclaw table, far from the Golden Trio. The Great Hall was bustling with its usual rowdiness, although to Ellie, it all seemed muffled.

Ellie had spent quite a bit of time with the Ravenclaw, usually helping her find her belongings. They didn't talk much, but the company was much appreciated. Luna had even made her a friendship bracelet, making Ellie the first ever person she trusted. Ellie didn't tell her of Hermione's break up, yet she knew that the Ravenclaw sensed it. Ellie learned much about Luna and learned how strong she really was.

"Luna, can I tell you something?" Ellie asked solemnly, her voice monotone, as if the life had been sucked out of her. This was the first time Ellie had spoken since sitting at the table.

"Of course," Luna replied as she set down the magazine she was reading, giving her full attention to the Hufflepuff. The magazine was set upside down, with Ellie not even batting an eye.

"I feel worthless," Ellie sighed as she continued to stare blankly at the back of Hermione's head, her curly locks resting on her jumper.

Luna's usual expressionless face changed into that of concern. It was rare that she ever changed her expression, only ever showing emotion to Ellie and Neville.

"Ellie Evans. You listen to me right now. You're worth more than you'll ever know. You just haven't realized that yet," Luna tried to reassure.

"Does Hermione think I'm worthless?" Ellie asked cautiously, in hopes that she would receive an answer she hoped for.

"No, I don't think so. She loves you, Ellie. You don't have to tell me anything for me to see that you two aren't together anymore. I'm observant, you see. For the past month, she's been trying to talk to you, but you keep pushing her away. And I'm not saying it's your fault, but maybe you should give her a chance to talk to you," Luna suggested in her normally innocent voice.

Hermione turned around and caught the gaze of Ellie's. She immediately turned back around, almost as if in embarrassment.

"What should I do?" Ellie asked quietly, her heart breaking from Hermione's reaction.

"Listen to your heart," Luna concluded simply, giving a small smile of reassurance.

The two of them sat in silence as Ellie pondered over Luna's advice.

"Would an ear work?" Ellie asked indirectly.

"Sure," Luna replied with uncertainty, unaware of Ellie's intentions.

As a purchase from the Weasleys' shop, Ellie decided to slip an Extendable Ear at the trio's shoes to eavesdrop on their conversation. Connected by an enchanted string, Ellie held up one of the ears to her own. Hermione and Ron sat next to each other with Harry on the other end.

At another table sat Lavender staring down Ron, clutching her spoon tightly. Cold flakes started to fall lightly onto the table as he stared at her in confusion.

"Stop it, Ron. You're making it snow," Hermione pleaded as Harry brushed off the white flakes from the table.

Ellie smiled slightly, happy to hear that Hermione sounded almost normal. The sound of her voice was simply enough to feel more content.

"Tell me how I broke up with Lavender again," Ron said with an intrigued expression.

"Um, well... she came to visit you in the hospital. And you talked. I don't believe it was a particularly long conversation," Hermione said oddly.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm bloody thrilled to be shot of her. It's just she seems a bit put out," Ron commented.

The three of them turned to look at the seemingly infuriated Lavender.

"Yes, she does, doesn't she?" Hermione noticed. "You say you don't remember anything from that night? Anything at all?"

"There is something," Ron paused. "But it can't be. I was completely boggled, wasn't I?"

"Right. Boggled."

Hermione's eyes trailed behind Harry to see Katie Bell walking into the Hall.

"Harry. That's Katie. Katie Bell," Hermione whispered.

Within moments, Harry had stood up quickly to talk to Katie as Ellie withdrew her Extendable Ear, pulling it back frantically.

"Ellie, your friend looks troubled," Luna pointed out as she looked towards Draco standing at the end of the hall.

Draco stood at the end of the Great Hall, seeming to have just walked in. His icy grey eyes were mixed with both pain and surprise as a single bead of sweat rolled down his temple. He seemed mortified of Katie's return, his face shocked. He turned on his heel and quickly walked away, earning a concerned expression from Ellie.

"I'm sorry, Luna, I have to go," Ellie said quickly as she stood up from the table, trailing behind the Slytherin.

Draco paced the halls quickly, with Ellie calling out his name harshly.

"Draco! Draco!"

Ellie called out as she increased her pace behind the boy. He ignored her and continued to walk quickly. They found themselves on the sixth floor, in the boys bathroom.

Draco was hunched over the sink as Ellie stood next to him.

"Draco, it wasn't your fault," Ellie pleaded, wanting to make him understand.

Draco removed his vest hastily and stared at himself in the mirror. He was breathing shakily, his platinum blonde hair ruffled. He turned on the faucet and splashed his face with the water.

Ellie placed a hand on his shoulder in attempts of calming him down. "You were forced to, Draco. Katie wasn't your fault and you know that."

Draco jerked away from her, his entire body shaking with stress. He started to break down into tears, his body seeming to shrivel.

"I-I can't, Ellie," the Slytherin argued. "I'm evil. He chose me!"

"But you didn't choose this. Please, Draco, listen to me," Ellie urged.

"I can't do it! I bloody can't!" Draco yelled, gripping the edges of the sink tightly, his knuckles turning white.

"Let me help you!"

"How are you supposed to help me? You wouldn't bloody kill someone for me! It's who I am! I was born to be this!" Draco argued.

"Being a Death Eater doesn't make you evil. It's the actions you take and the intentions you have. Please, Draco, let me help you."

"It's too late, Ellie! It's too late for me..."

Draco started to sob again, his cries raspy and ragged. Ellie didn't know what to do, her mind conflicted on whether to hug him or keep talking. She had no idea how he was feeling and couldn't even imagine how it would feel like to be tasked with murder. Ellie stood there, sympathy in her eyes, watching as Draco broke down. She couldn't bear to see her friend like that, broken and overwhelmed right in front of her.

Quiet footsteps approached the scene, stopping right at the door. The two of them spun around to see a boy with an angry expression, seeming to have heard their conversation. Ellie looked at him with apologetic eyes, seeing as his eyes glistened with a sense of betrayal. It was Harry.