18

"I owe you an apology." I heard him say and I immediately turned my head around to look at him.

"For what?" I asked, carefully. After all this time, I didn't think I ever heard Vince apologize before. Especially not to me.

For a split second, I glanced down to our hands that were still intertwined before glancing back up. He hadn't bothered to even move his hand but he didn't pull away either.

"For all of this." He voiced, staring ahead. His jaw clenched and I pressed my lips together. "I shouldn't have dragged you into this mess. None of this was supposed to happen but I..."

I held my breath as my heart seemed to have picked up its pace, waiting for his next words.

"I'm sorry."

I tore my eyes away from him and instead, stared at the light layer of snow that had covered the ground. There was a gnawing feeling inside of me but I couldn't tell what it was.

Why did I feel... glad that all of this happened? I was glad that I had gotten kidnapped and got a chance to know Vince. Did that make me a bad person?

"I forgive you." I automatically said, without thinking. I never really did blame him in the first place.

I blew out another puff of air, sinking lower into the seat. Raising my gaze, I stared straight at the building he was staring at, finding nothing interesting about it.

I froze once I felt him squeeze my hand. Suddenly I felt his hand on my chin, urging my head to turn to face his. Before I could protest, his lips met mine, taking me by surprise.

"Vince," I mumbled from behind his lips. He grunted in response, his lips claiming mine as his as he kissed me so gently yet so passionately.

For a second I was unresponsive but then I finally surrendered, kissing him back.

The kiss was like none before, much sweeter, much more... fervid. At the moment, I was vulnerable, willing to bend to his every order and I wasn't sure if I should've been more afraid.

I felt like he could read my every thought, everything I felt for him but held back. My heart ached, unable to voice my feelings. I wanted to tell him. Every fiber of my being was crying for me to tell him but I couldn't. I couldn't make things more complicated than they already were.

Pulling my emotions together, I pushed them to the very back of my head, and instead, I let myself get lost in one of the last moments we would ever have together.

...

After the two of us came back from our walk, we went our separate ways to our rooms. I had tried going to sleep but unfortunately, sleep did not come. I spent most of the night tossing and turning, nervous about my departure. I doubted I was going to get any sleep tonight either.

The sun was already starting to rise, reminding me of my limited time here.

Today was the last day. The last day I would spend here and the last day of the year. Before I had to leave and go back to my dad's.

The whole thing was ridiculous. An actual fucking joke. My dad couldn't hold me at his house. I was an adult and I no longer had to be under his care. After he finally paid off his debt, I would be safer even without bodyguards and there would be no reason for him to be so controlling. Maybe I could finally be independent and be able to live my own life.

I spent the morning cleaning up even more after I had eaten breakfast. I made sure that everything was clean and organized although Vince could've easily had someone else do it for him. It distracted me for a while but then I ended up running out of things to do to keep my mind off of what I had been avoiding all this time.