chapter twenty

Draco. 112 days before May 4, 1999.

"This here is the most exquisite piece of rock in all of Europe," the old man said as he opened a tiny black box, causing a small gasp to escape Mother's lips. "And arguably, one of the greatest treasures of the world."

     I stared intently at it as the old man handed the box to me. The silver band was made of stardust, just like what her name had meant. A black diamond sat at the top prettily, as jet black as her hair as it continued to be hugged by dozens of tiny crystal clear diamonds, shining relentlessly. The way it sparkled onto the black rock had reminded me of the crowded night sky, just like her eyes at any time of the day.

     It was perfect.

    "You know, legend has it that centuries ago, a king as pale as the moon traveled to the stars just to obtain this ring," the old man started again. "The stars offered themselves and their stardust to hug the black rock and create the band," he continued. "All for a woman that he loved, a girl that glowed so bright as if she were the sun herself. Though it came with a price, the king would feel cold forever..." He went on. "But it was alright, because he had her warmth to keep him content."

     "A love so deep that it carried to the sun, the moon, and the stars..."

     I smiled lightly at his words, thinking of her as I looked down at the ring again. "I'll take it."

     The old man nodded his head and shot me grin, taking the box back from me gently to ring it up.

     I turned to Mother who's blue eyes had become clouded, a little tired after the two of us traveling around Europe for the last week. Her lips had curved up into a cheeky smile, looking proud.

     "What is it, Mother?" I asked annoyedly, feeling slightly flustered.

     "Oh, my little boy," Mother gushed as she cupped my face with her frail hands, no longer wearing her wedding ring.

     "Oh please," I muttered as my cheeks turned warm, shaking my head out of her grasps, fixing my tie. "I'm an adult." I said defensively, widening my puffy and pallid eyes at her sassily.

     "Sure Draco," She mocked, unable to keep a grin down. "I approve of Tala greatly, you know," she said, making me feel embarrassed. "Her Mother and I — Elly and I had planned for our children to become lovers. I find it fascinating that you two found your way back to each other, like fate."

     "Mother please," I grumbled under my breath, my cheeks flaming red. "I only asked you to come with me because I needed your sense of taste, we agreed not to talk about her."

    "Yes well," she said, crossing her arms before raising her dark eyebrows at me intimidatingly. "I'm still rather curious as to how you two broke off in the first place?"

     I sighed, knowing she would lecture me if I didn't give in. "I was reassured that Tala would stay by my side no matter what," I said with a frown before admitting. "I suppose I let power get to my head as I teased students...with Father and the Dark Lord gone. It felt good after being pushed around in the manor for so long Mother," I said, earning a sad smile from her. "I hated torturing people, I felt weak, I wanted to feel better."

     Mother pulled me in a loving embrace at that, giving me a kiss on the cheek. She always did know how to make me feel better, I love Mother — though I had wished Tiny was here instead.

     "I miss Father sometimes..." I admitted quietly.

     There was a long pause, just us two standing in the middle of the aging jewelry store. It was so exclusive that barely any customers could enter, needing to have a big name to be even considered.