WHEEL OF THE PEOPLE

WHEEL OF THE PEOPLE

Story by KUTEESA FRANK

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

The police siren sounded startling Absalom from a deep sleep! He spent the night asleep in a hair but how and what exactly!

He sat facing a high glass window with an early morning glow of daylight. The window's curtains were half-drawn revealing a down-flow of raindrops outside the glass and moisture on the inside.

Not far on his right, there was a curved office table. Everything around him was fuzzy and wavy. His head was humming and hurting. Why he was not seeing clearly and feeling unusual caused him to panic!

When struggled to balance on his limp legs but staggered off! Fortunately, there was an office table. He crushed into it and knocked over something brittle!

It was a glass of juice taken halfway down! It crushed to the floor into several pieces! However, its sound did not scare him better than the sound made by the approaching police siren outside the hospital.

He looked confused! He questioned himself how long he must have been out!

It took him some seconds to recall, that he has been on the run for the last forty-eight hours. He glanced around quickly trying to take in his surroundings. Everything was familiar.

There was a man on his right. The man's face was fuzzy and unclear at first sight! Absalom squinted with his head cocked a bit.

It was Dr Serunjoji Timothy, chairperson of Kyagulanyi Hospital and this was his office. Did he spend the whole night in the doctor's office? This is when he remembered what happened!

He looked up at the clock. It was 5:15 am! This is when he realized he'd slept too long!

"Wait a min. You drugged me... fool!" Absalom uttered just when the police siren sounded again, this time even louder and closer than before outside the hospital!

His heart pounded heavily! Meanwhile outside, military vehicles were arriving and cutting off every entry and exit point into the hospital's perimeters!

Well, when he woke up just a minute ago, he had a cloth covering him in the chair. Sadly, he never noticed it fall. As he staggered were to the curved office table, the cloth tangled up his feet.

Still, he did not realize!
Now when the police siren sounds from the hospital parking, he hurriedly made an impossible step towards the window. His foot was stuck!

The next thing, he was stumbling to the floor with a heavy thud! His specs fell off. He quickly reached for them, thereafter crawled up to the window.
Reaching the window, he peered out and what he saw silenced him!

The hospital was under siege by triple the usual number of police officers. As if it wasn't enough, these were fully armed military men.

They positioned themselves and their heavy armoury vehicle in an arc -from one end of the hospital's front to the other leaving close no escape even for something as simple as a street lizard!

Absalom's heart pounded even faster than before.

Absalom let the curtain go keeping the rest of his body behind the wall. His blood rushed and his body heated in a matter of seconds! He angrily looked up at the hospital's CEO. He could not believe this man just sold him and his son out!

"I am so sorry...," the doctor spoke before Absalom could utter anything.
Anger gripped Absalom's throat. His face twitched as he stood up! He recalls they arrived here two hours past midnight, dropped off by a truck driver.