~3~

Janis stands there, frozen in plain sight. She stares at Ember, scared for her own daughter's life. Cady comes up to her and rubs her back, knowing this is harder for her than it is for herself. Thoughts come trailing in her head, memories she wishes she could kill off but come flying back at random moments.

"I mean, are you a lesbian? What are you!?" She remembers shaking, a confused, yet terrified, expression on her face. Her mind raced with thoughts, wondering why her best friend would do this to her, the words came out of her mouth before she could realize what she was doing.

"I am a space alien and I have four butts!" She instantly regretted it. Not even an hour later did she get space dyke scratched into her locker with a key. She was only in eighth grade, but she was alone. No friends, bullying, and no one to talk to at home. She couldn't deal with it all, so her mom took her out of school and put her in art therapy.

The therapy was the best part of it all. She got to express herself through her passion, art, and come out to find her best friend.  If it weren't for the therapy, she is convinced that she wouldn't be alive today, and she is who she is because of it. The art therapy inspired her to pursue a career as an art therapist, to help kids in similar positions she was once in. The taunts kept continuing, but she had Damian to protect her.

She settles back into reality and realizes that she is pulled into Cady on the floor with Ember next to Cady and Lion on her lap. Cady is rubbing her back, and whispering sweet little nothings in her ear. Ember is looking at her moms' with a concerned look on her face. She has no idea what is going on, and she just wants Janis to be ok. Janis slowly calms down and looks at Ember. She takes a deep breath before speaking.

"Embs, why are you asking?" Ember looks at her moms' and sighs.

"There were these three girls that said I was a dyke like my moms' are. I don't know what they mean." Janis clenches her fists, and Cady pulls her in tighter, silently telling her that she is there.

"Ember, that is a mean word that people say." Ember has a confused look on her face.

"What does it mean?" Janis sighs before answering the dreaded question.

"Well, you know how Mommy and I are together?" She nods before Janis continues, "Well, not all families have two moms.  Some have two dads, and some have others in between, but most people live with a mom and a dad. Some mean people don't think it is okay to have girls love girls or boys love boys." Ember's face instantly becomes shocked and confused.

"But you and Mommy love each other! Why don't you just tell people that?" Janis sighs.

"Some people don't understand that. There is this thing called sexuality, have you ever heard that word before?" Ember gives Janis a confused look, and she shakes her head no. Cady gives Janis a look, not sure if Ember is old enough for this topic, but Janis gives a reassuring look, telling her she won't go too far into it. Cady nods and goes back to her job of rubbing Janis's back as silent comfort.

"Well, when you really like someone, you are given a label. The label depends on who you like. Most people like people of the opposite gender, which is boys liking girls and girls liking boys. Does that make sense Ember?" She nods, curious to know what this conversation really is.

"If they only like the opposite gender, they are what is called straight. Some people think that it is only ok to be straight." Janis sighs before continuing.  She could go on a huge, long rant about sexuality and rights, but she is talking to her five-year-old who won't understand it all.

"Well, Mommy and I belong to what is called the LGBTQ+ community. It is kind of confusing, but each letter is a different type of sexuality. Some people say really mean things to people in this community." Ember perks up with a sudden thought.

"Is that why people ask me if I feel loved and safe?" Janis and Cady's hearts instantly sink into their stomachs'. Cady takes this one, knowing Janis won't take it well.

"Embs, what do you mean?" Ember gives a look, confused as to why they don't know.

"Sometimes when we go to the mall or the store, people ask me if I am happy and safe. I don't know why, but I always nod and smile. They usually give me a weird look, almost as if they ate a bad piece of spinach, and then walk away." Cady and Janis stare at their daughter in shock. They feel so helpless that they didn't even notice this was going on. Cady takes a deep breath and continues, trying to stay strong for both her wife's and Ember's sake.

"Ember, if somebody ever asks you that, we need you to tell Mama and me so we can help you, okay? We love you so so much and we want you to know that you can always talk to us." Ember nods at Cady, and then Janis takes a deep breath.

"Ember, we love you and we want you to know that people are always going to be mean. That is something that might not ever change. Always be the sweet, sassy, and loving Ember you are. If people are saying mean things like-" She can't force the word out of her mouth. It hurts too much, and Cady rubs her back, knowing it calms her a little bit. "that- we want you to tell us. We love you so much and we don't want you hurting, okay peanut?" Ember nods. Janis brings Ember into her lap and hugs her into her chest. Ember hugs back, and Cady smiles. If it was a different situation, she would have taken a picture.

Janis loosens her grip on Ember and turns her head, motioning for her wife to join the hug. She joins, and they all sit there in each other's embraces until Janis's phone buzzes. She gets out of the hug to check it.

Damian Hubbard wants to facetime you

Janis realizes that it is already thirty minutes after Ember's bedtime, but she knows that Damian can make her smile before she goes to bed. "How would you feel if we facetime Uncle Damian for five minutes?" Ember instantly lights up and nods excitedly. Janis swipes right, answering the call.

They see Damian's smiling face and wave. He is in his dressing room getting ready for another show of Bare in an hour. (Yes, he is still in Bare! I have an idea for him, thanks to @xtheatregirl, so don't worry!) 

"How, are my favorite people in the world?!"

"Hi, Uncle Damian!" Damian gives her a mischievous glance.

"Aren't you supposed to be in bed?" She giggles and Janis answers the question for her.

"We were just having a chat." 

"Oh, so it was Jan's idea. Cady, was she causing trouble again? Do I need to come down and talk to her?" Cady laughs at this.

"It was a needed conversation, and it was both of our ideas-" Janis perks up, and realizes what he just said

"Yes, Damian! Come back!" He laughs at this.

"I was just there two weeks ago Jan."

"It was two weeks too long!" They all laugh and they continue talking about things from their day before they hang up, ten minutes later. Ember leans her head on Cady's shoulder, clearly tired. Janis smiles at her, before looking at Cady. Cady smiles back at her, then looks down at Ember.

"You tired Emb?" Ember looks up, yawns, and shakes her head no. Cady giggles at that. Janis realizes that there is something she wants Ember to know, but she shakes it off. Ember has already been up later than usual, and she needs her sleep. She stands up and picks up Ember from Cady, who smiles at Janis. She places her in bed, tucks her in, and kisses her daughter's forehead.

"I love you Embs, sweet dreams." Ember smiles.

"I love you too Mama." Janis smiles and turns out the lights. Cady says goodnight, and then they leave her bedroom. They sit on the couch and call back Damian, wanting him to know the real reason Ember was up.

A/N

Cliffhanger! Sorry, but it would most likely be long if I incorporated the call in there, so I'll hopefully have that in the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed some Janis and Ember moments because I certainly did! I love you all, and I hope you have a good Thanksgiving (if you celebrate because I won't post till Friday probably!)

-Kenzie