Worst Steps, First Steps

I step forward from the rest of the choir and do my best to control my breathing as the end of the song begins. Closing my eyes for a moment I lose myself and it's over before I know it. The choir and the congregation join in on the final 'Amen' and then the organ trails off.

I fall back in with the choir as we sing the worshipers out. When there's only a few stragglers left I take my own leave. Hanging up my choir robe in the annex and grabbing my jacket and purse I make my way outside. 

At the bottom of the stairs I spy my mother talking with a man. As I approach I stop and realize that the man is Donny Novinski. They both turn to greet me, both with huge smiles.

"Uh, you did not tell me you get to do the big finale." Suddenly I'm very critical of myself, going back in my mind to the performance, making sure I hit every note.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, smoothing my jacket folded over my arm.

"Well, he's here now, and the choir could sure use a tenor under sixty." Ma says teasingly, waving to a friend who's walking to the sidewalk.

"Ma!" I exclaim. There's no need to dog on the choir. Donny stifles a laugh looking down at his shoes.

"Your daughter's voice," He looks to my mother and then back to me. "oh, it's beautiful!"

I take a sharp breath and try to relax. "Thanks."

"It's really high!" He's still smiling, which in turn helps me to smile.

"I can't keep a single wine glass in the house." My mom jokes, imitating a glass exploding in her hands.

"Ma!" I say again, this time laughing along with her.

She waves herself away, locking arms with Mrs. Merriweather, another member of the choir, and a friend of ours. When she's out of sight, Donny offers his arm to me. Taking it we head out of the church courtyard towards the sidewalk.

"Do you sing swing?" He aks.

"I- I used to." I suppose I still do, but only when I'm alone at home, and those moments are few and far between these days.

He pats my hand with his free one. Without looking over he makes his case, "Well listen, I put this band together, and we're playing a set tonight at The Blue Wisp, I was wondering if you'd come by to hear us." I feel myself lock up. Coming to a stop he does too. 

"Tonight?" I try to think of an excuse. It's not that I dislike going out, it's just that I don't like going out alone, I get lonely. "I have to work early tomorrow." I'll end up sitting in the crowd alone thinking of times passed.

He pulls his arm from mine and rests both hands on my shoulders. "It's one set. Nine o'clock. You'll be home by ten. I promise. What do you say?"

I sigh. "The Blue Wisp?" I ask glancing up.

He flashes yet another smile. "Yeah, on Superior and West 3rd."

I won't be out long. If I get lonely I can always go home. "Nine o'clock?"

"Half hour set." He slices his hand through the air signifying the cut off.

"Well... Alright." I nod more for myself, but Donny pulls me in for a brief hug.

"Alright." He says. "Walk you home?" He asks, extending his arm to me again. I take it generous for his offer. Looking off in the distance I smile nervously to myself. 

A night out. It's been awhile.

___________________

"Wow you look great." Mama says stepping back. She helped me finish my hair and pick the right dress. I smile in the mirror. I wouldn't consider myself as beautiful, but tonight I must confess I look... nice. Ma leans over me, "I'm sure he'll say the same." I scrunch my eyebrows and push her away. "I know it's not a date!" She says, "Don't you dare look at me that way."